Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Actually this would be really cool in something like a mini-ITX HTPC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
I was thinking it'd be great for mITX as well, until I realized a lot of mITX boards only have 2 DIMM slots!
^ Bingo. In a mini-ITX PC, you'd generally be using all of the RAM slots anyway.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
I was thinking it'd be great for mITX as well, until I realized a lot of mITX boards only have 2 DIMM slots!
And that is what I obviously didn't think about either. Then again with two slots you could use a 4GB stick in one slot and then this in the other. Just grasping at straws to justify my first post.

Old August 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
Banned
F@H

or get,when they come out, those postage stamp sized units. now those can go anywhere.
Old August 28, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
And that is what I obviously didn't think about either. Then again with two slots you could use a 4GB stick in one slot and then this in the other. Just grasping at straws to justify my first post.
No need. No one product is going to be perfect match for all situations. This one probably wont be even a good choice for MANY as it obviously has been designed for a niche of a niche. With that being said Im sure some individuals will find it "perfect". Personally Im not one of them but I can see what they were trying for with it. Certainly unique and a great example of "thinking outside the box"!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
Unregistered Dude

RAM drives are nothing new, folks. And they are doomed to fail due to exorbitant price.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered Dude View Post
RAM drives are nothing new, folks. And they are doomed to fail due to exorbitant price.
Yup....except you are commenting on the wrong product.

(Re)read the news article. This is not a ram drive, it doesnt rely on RAM. It uses NAND. Its a Solid State Drive that just happens to have a DIMM form factor for power and a SATA port for data.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 29, 2010, 09:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm trying to wrap my head around how it's intended to be used though. Is the idea to set up a non-volatile ram drive and get away from using an OS drive (it'll never be big enough for data)?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around how it's intended to be used though. Is the idea to set up a non-volatile ram drive and get away from using an OS drive (it'll never be big enough for data)?
It's just an SSD powered through the RAM slots. It's intended to be used just like any other SSD.
Old August 29, 2010, 09:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me then. I mean really.... who doesn't have enough space to cram a 2.5" drive somewhere? The only thing I can even imagine would be some kind of super small ITX in a stand-alone unit like a POS.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 30, 2010, 06:27 AM

I THINK the idea behind this is in the small 1U server niche. The low end do (sometimes) use SATA (or SAS) instead of true SCSI. When you only have a couple slots for hard drives....maybe I can kinda sorta IF I squint and spin around a few times see a possible niche for it there. But thats certainly thinking outside the box!

In the HTPC sector, I can kinda/sorta see a niche in that if you have limited space for hard drive but have a lot of [data] and want to free up a slot for another 1/2/3TB hdd.

Certainly not for everybody!

Last edited by AkG; August 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: left out a word