Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
FiXT's Avatar
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: GVRD
Posts: 3,343

My System Specs

Default ATI Releases Catalyst 10.8 Drivers - Secrets Hidden Within

AMD has launched the ATI Catalyst 10.8 WHQL driver suite that brings a few game specific improvements as well as containing some hidden information that reveals more about the companies upcoming product lines. Hidden within a file in the driver package appears to be a listing of previously unknown codenames for what can only be surmised as the expe... [ Read full article ]
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Shore Montreal
Posts: 1,945
Default

Whistler, Blackcomb and Onega don't really follow the island theme of the other names.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 02:25 PM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,149
Default

There is a few interesting new options in there.
Let's see how it goes...I still experience a CTD in BC2 once in a while (HD5870, Win7-64). Must be Game-related.

Quote:
Performance increases 3-5% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 series
Humm...I'm already running this game (L4D2)all-maxed-out at 1680 X 1050) and capped at 120FPS(single card tho)...so the 3-5% won't be noticeable for 99.9% of the users.
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; August 27, 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,996

My System Specs

Default

Im actually the most interested in the CrossfireX Eyefinity improvements. You might not know it, but running two 5970s in CFX would give you lower frames in Eyefinity modes and just one... but i guess they've fixed that now. I wonder if i should try it sometime, lol.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 02:44 PM
FiXT's Avatar
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: GVRD
Posts: 3,343

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Whistler, Blackcomb and Onega don't really follow the island theme of the other names.
Ya I noticed that

What I find interesting is that 3 of the names are actually BC Mountains; Whistler, Blackcomb, Seymour
Maybe we got it all wrong, maybe it was going to be "Southern Islands" which could be the 4 island in the Caribbean nations, and then the Northern Mountains

The poor European news writer over at hexus.net seemed to get confused with all our mountains in Canuckland
""Whistler and Blackcomb don't seem to fit with the Island-theme as both are mountains - and popular ski resorts - in the Canadian Rockies."

Last edited by FiXT; August 26, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Shore Montreal
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Ya I noticed that

What I find interesting is that 3 of the names are actually BC Mountains; Whistler, Blackcomb, Seymour
Maybe we got it all wrong, maybe it was going to be "Southern Islands" which could be the 4 island in the Caribbean nations, and then the Northern Mountains

The poor European news writer over at hexus.net seemed to get confused with all our mountains in Canuckland
""Whistler and Blackcomb don't seem to fit with the Island-theme as both are mountains - and popular ski resorts - in the Canadian Rockies."
Well to be fair we do have many

Seymour is also a name of an island in Antarctica, can't get more south than that, lol (though there is also a Seymour island in Nunavut). I guess Onega being a peninsula (among other things in that region) is island-esque. Maybe they are fans of Waterworld and figure if/when the ice caps melt the mountains would become islands
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 26, 2010, 06:02 PM
dustin1706's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 629

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
There is a few interesting new options in there.
Let's see how it goes...I still experience a CTD in BC2 once in a while (HD5870, Win7-64). Must be Game-related.

Humm...I'm already running this game all-maxed-out and capped at 120FPS(single card tho)...so the 3-5% won't be noticeable for 99.9% of the users.

BC2 maxed with a single 5870??? I am running a reference 5870 and with full graphics (except half of AA and AF) My FPS sometimes dips into the low 40s in 32 MP with lots of smoke.... I am also running 1920 x 1200... but still....

Any improvement will be welcome. I find this card to be quite inadequate for full graphics settings at 1920x1200. I think I will wait for either a price drop on the 5xxx and pick up a second 5870 or see what the 6xxx look like.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 27, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Im actually the most interested in the CrossfireX Eyefinity improvements. You might not know it, but running two 5970s in CFX would give you lower frames in Eyefinity modes and just one... but i guess they've fixed that now. I wonder if i should try it sometime, lol.
Ask ontariotl, he's got his setup running that now. Although he's using modified drivers from a guy named twl. He's given ati's stock drivers and shot and needless to say he is not fond of them. Unsure if 10.8 brings much improvement there.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 27, 2010, 02:39 AM
Full Speed's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland
Posts: 811

My System Specs

Default

Anyone try 10.8 with Boarderlands? 10.7 had that game crashing like crazy for me.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 27, 2010, 03:20 AM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Any improvement will be welcome. I find this card to be quite inadequate for full graphics settings at 1920x1200. I think I will wait for either a price drop on the 5xxx and pick up a second 5870 or see what the 6xxx look like.
Well, we're talking L4D2. In other games, I get some dips. Res is 1680 X 1050. at 1920 X 1200 in L4D2, I never tried, but it's a source-based game shouldn't be hard to push.

In BC2, it an average of 90fps aat 1680 X 1050, HBAO on, all settings at high, 4MSAA, 8 AF.
There is a dip once in a while, dunno if it's server-related or the card.
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI Releases Catalyst 10.7a Drivers with Starcraft 2 Fix FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 13 August 14, 2010 08:15 PM
ATI Releases Catalyst 10.4a Preview Drivers FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 10 April 25, 2010 02:57 PM
ATI Releases 9.11 WHQL Catalyst Drivers FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 3 November 18, 2009 06:00 PM
ATI Officially Releases Catalyst 9.8 Drivers FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 0 August 18, 2009 09:43 AM
Catalyst 7.7 Drivers Now Available from ATI BALISTX Video Cards 7 August 23, 2007 10:11 PM