Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 12:30 PM

Hopefully most retailers don't have much stock left... The writing's been on the wall for a while.

I know we've only got the 550W power supplies, which honestly are a pretty good value for the money with the RMA rate that we've seen on them. That's why we decided instead of liquidating them that we'll keep selling them and back them ourselves.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
Kitty

Oh, no, this is awful!! :(
My card (BFG 9600 GT OC) started dying last week before pretty much conking out a few days ago: artifacting on start-up and BIOS, and failing to load windows (cycle of rebooting). I confirmed it was the card this weekend, when I tried different monitors with no luck, and then replaced the card with an old XFX GeForce FX 5200, which did work.

I was looking up information on RMA'ing a BFG card and their process and found a link to this thread and am extremely upset to hear that they'll no longer replace cards, and more so at the TIMING of my card's failure - it's like it knew it had to die right at the time BFG would stop honoring their warranty! For now the old card is working for basic functions, but I need something better for full functionality.

Am I just out of luck now? I went with BFG for the Lifetime Warranty and cannot afford a newer card at this time. I was going to call them later today but after reading this, it seems that calling will be pointless.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I would still call them and try to get a straight up answer. It could be only certain cards they have run out of.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I would still call them and try to get a straight up answer. It could be only certain cards they have run out of.
Thank you, I guess it couldn't hurt to try! From what I've now been reading about the news, it seems like some people were not informed of this and actually paid to ship their broken product to BFG, only to have the product returned along with the letter saying it couldn't be fixed. I'd hate for them to string me along with an RMA, only to have the card sit there while even more of my money goes to waste. With a company going out of business, it seems like anything sent to them at this point would be "at your own risk", wouldn't it?
Old August 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sure it would be at your own risk but the card is dead anyways so there is no hurt in trying.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:03 PM
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sure it would be at your own risk but the card is dead anyways so there is no hurt in trying.
True, apart from shipping costs. In that case, I'll definitely give them a call and evaluate the cost of shipping against saving up for a "bargain" card. Thanks again for the advice! :)

Out of curiosity, what are the better companies out there right now? Since getting my BFG card, I stopped following video card news since my card was serving me well. Now I'm out of the loop and it might be better to go with a stronger company that has a lifetime warranty, if I can scrape up the funds or find a $50-$100 lower-range card.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why don't you bake 9600GT?

Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card resurrected! - [H]ard|Forum

-Plato
Old August 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Baking a video card? :o Never heard of that but I'll look into it - I suspect my card killed itself by overheating so I wonder how baking would help. I've never done anything with a video card before except for popping it into my PC and pressing the power button. But since it's fried anyway, there's no harm if I know what parts to take off and put back on, eh?
Old August 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No more warranty so who cares? It is a good try.

-Plato
Old August 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unhappy Press Release

That's a shame. I own a 280 OC and it's never given me any problems. Oh well, at least I have some newer ones for replacement if it craps out. At least people weren't buying new next gen. cards only to have this happen. Lifetime warranty was one of the reasons for buying that card in the 1st place.
I only hope this doesn't happen to XFX as well.