Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Ouch. Hate to see BFG go. They're one of my favourite NVIDIA companies. Now my 9600GT is warranty-less. Time to find an excuse to upgrade? =D

@jonny. What did bring BFG to its demise then?
I'm sure someone has that information and will be posting it soon now that this letter stating that they're winding down business is out. Me, I don't feel comfortable yet with sharing the whole back story.
Old August 16, 2010, 08:18 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Wouldn't be too smart either since you are looking for work...better to play it safe.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 16, 2010, 09:12 AM
Banned
F@H

keep it tight. to the grave tight.

usually its bad investments, or someone higher up making a mistake...sad for the consumers,employees as well
Old August 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I still got the T-shirt from my BFG nVidia 8800 GTX
Yep , same here.

Sad to see BFG go , I always liked them.

Old August 16, 2010, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh... here's hoping the GS-550 I got for a friend doesn't die...
Old August 16, 2010, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Default Caveat Emptor

How can a company sell a warranty without having liability insurance in place to cover potential claims? That's the problem with a lot of these Taiwanese and other overseas companies; they don't have the same business practices and standards as we do here in the US and Canada.
Old August 16, 2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How can a company sell a warranty without having liability insurance in place to cover potential claims? That's the problem with a lot of these Taiwanese and other overseas companies; they don't have the same business practices and standards as we do here in the US and Canada.
Umm... BFG is an American company based out of Illinois.

And what exactly is such an insurance going to cover? The company would have to pay into it, increasing overhead and then it would help customers after the company goes out of business, which only helps the customer and not the, no defunct, company. It just doesn't make sense for any company to WANT to do this.

No company really WANTS to go out of business. BFG didn't WANT to go out of business. But once it does go out of business; call it heartless, but what do they care what happens to the products they sold when their company was still in business?

The only way ANY company would ever pay into an insurance that covered customers in the event of the company going belly up is if it were mandated by law. And there is no law that requires companies to do this. In fact, if a company actually files into bankruptcy, it's even LESS likely that the customer will get jack shit.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
How can a company sell a warranty without having liability insurance in place to cover potential claims? That's the problem with a lot of these Taiwanese and other overseas companies;
I think you should read the fine print first.

Quote:
they don't have the same business practices and standards as we do here in the US and Canada.
I disagree. XFX might have limited double lifetime warranty here in North America, but in Asia or Europe, they only have the standard 3 year warranty. Even companies that actually have office in North American a la Diamond, still has crappy warranty services...

-Plato
Old August 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
Banned
F@H

bfg is..well was, one of the few with the 'no questions asked' rule that actually applied when you applied for rma. cant count more than on one hand the others that do it..gigabyte, and wd...maybe another couple.
Old August 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Allstar

I wonder if retailers will sell off their remaining stock cheap? It might be hard to sell parts which have no warranty whatsoever now.
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI