Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2010, 06:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
This time, Charlie's Semiaccurate report is fairly accurate. When I heard about the Nvidia branded cards taking over at Best Buy some time last year, I thought it was just upper management trying to give the underlings some sort of excuse for the business failing. Now I come to find out that it was all true.

I don't think this is good for Nvidia. Look what happened to 3DFX and S3 when they tried the same thing. Both failed.
"Limited time promotion".

NVIDIA is basically running this as part of an ecosystem promotion at Best Buy. Once stock runs out, we likely won't see the cards you are referring to at Best Buy anymore. Whether or not NVIDIA keeps stocking the channel is really up to the willingness of Palit, PNY and Zotac to keep the brick and mortar channels stocked.

As it was, you and I both know that BFG cooked their own goose in more ways than one.

Last edited by SKYMTL; October 7, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rookie

Default BestBuy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
This time, Charlie's Semiaccurate report is fairly accurate. When I heard about the Nvidia branded cards taking over at Best Buy some time last year, I thought it was just upper management trying to give the underlings some sort of excuse for the business failing. Now I come to find out that it was all true.

I don't think this is good for Nvidia. Look what happened to 3DFX and S3 when they tried the same thing. Both failed.
Agreed, but what I still dont get and probably NEVER will is who in there right mind shops at Best Buy for PC hardware ? I mean come on , BestBuy ?
With so many PC dedicated shops that have more knowledgeable people and waaay more stock on items and products for Gaming freaks like us, why would I ever go to Best Buy?
Maybe I'm missing something I don't know.
Next thing you know BestBuy will be the doing Hardware reviews and Benchmarks ?
LOL just comical.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0007 View Post
Agreed, but what I still dont get and probably NEVER will is who in there right mind shops at Best Buy for PC hardware ? I mean come on , BestBuy ?
With so many PC dedicated shops that have more knowledgeable people and waaay more stock on items and products for Gaming freaks like us, why would I ever go to Best Buy?
Maybe I'm missing something I don't know.
Next thing you know BestBuy will be the doing Hardware reviews and Benchmarks ?
LOL just comical.
More people than you think. Just because we, hardware enthusiasts know better does not mean that the vast majority of people out there know better. We probably represent 10-15% on average of the consumers of this hardware. Where as people less educated as us go to places like Best Buy and Future Shop because they trust the name, service and it saves them the hassle of having to do it themselves.
A lot of people either cannot be bothered, don't have the knowhow or simply prefer that someone else does all their decision making for them.

As much as it sucks, its the honest truth out there that I see everyday. And stores like that exist and do very well because of it.

It would be wrong of us to think any other way with this.
Old October 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
MVP
F@H

When I was younger before I discovered NCIX I used to get components from FS and BB.

There are plenty of people who simply don't know better, people who see NCIX ads plastered all over the side of transit vehicles but don't know what it is, so it's to be expected that BB would try and enter the potentially lucrative market for high end gaming. There are plenty of people with large disposable incomes who would happily pay 1.5x the price you'd pay at NCIX for a solid gaming system provided that the salesman is motivated enough to convince them how awesome it is, (and how great the extended warranty is too)
Old October 7, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
When I was younger before I discovered NCIX I used to get components from FS and BB.

There are plenty of people who simply don't know better, people who see NCIX ads plastered all over the side of transit vehicles but don't know what it is, so it's to be expected that BB would try and enter the potentially lucrative market for high end gaming. There are plenty of people with large disposable incomes who would happily pay 1.5x the price you'd pay at NCIX for a solid gaming system provided that the salesman is motivated enough to convince them how awesome it is, (and how great the extended warranty is too)
I've known about NCIX for well over a decade now, and I've only been shopping from them the past few years. I just didn't realize there was a big computer store out there that didn't suck.
Old October 7, 2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
F@H

for many people, going in the actual store and picking up the actual item makes the difference. one reason ncix busted their brains about opening up stores outside their turf :)
Old October 7, 2010, 06:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
for many people, going in the actual store and picking up the actual item makes the difference. one reason ncix busted their brains about opening up stores outside their turf :)
Exactly, if something dies on me, I don't want to ship it back to the manufacturer! I'll just take it back to the store thanks. Memory express price matches online retailers so the price is the same anyway. I remember I shopboted a usb cable they were selling for 10 dollars down to 2.40. The only time I will buy from online now is if there is a crazy sale that is unbelievable.
Old October 8, 2010, 06:28 AM
Rookie

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Exactly, if something dies on me, I don't want to ship it back to the manufacturer! I'll just take it back to the store thanks. Memory express price matches online retailers so the price is the same anyway. I remember I shopboted a usb cable they were selling for 10 dollars down to 2.40. The only time I will buy from online now is if there is a crazy sale that is unbelievable.
"]Exactly, if something dies on me, I don't want to ship it back to the manufacturer! I'll just take it back to the store thanks."

I don't get it , this only apply's for the first 2 weeks. after that you have to ship it to the Manf.
Maybe I misunderstood what mean .
Old October 11, 2010, 02:49 AM
80-watt Hamster

Default Sometimes your choices are limited

In many places, say Fargo, Best Buy is more or less your only brick-and-mortar option for components. There's only one other place here that realistically does anything resembling retail, but since they're primarily a service shop with a tiny front end, selection is abysmal and prices are no better. That said, the only things I can remember picking up at BB were a hard drive in some emergency, and my Logitech trackball. Which I still use going on twelve years later. Everything else comes to my house in a big brown truck.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
"Limited time promotion".

NVIDIA is basically running this as part of an ecosystem promotion at Best Buy. Once stock runs out, we likely won't see the cards you are referring to at Best Buy anymore. Whether or not NVIDIA keeps stocking the channel is really up to the willingness of Palit, PNY and Zotac to keep the brick and mortar channels stocked.
I seriously doubt that this will be a "limited time promotion".

Best Buy has the highest margins on the market. Previously, the only way this could be sustained was with back end rebates from Nvidia. Since Nvidia discontinued these rebates, the only way Best Buy is going to be able to sustain these margins and still be at least in the same general ball park as an etailer is if they continue to work with Nvidia directly.