Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2010, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Default mutha......

My BFG graphics card died yesterday...Bought it at Best Buy and they're saying no go.

mutha.....!
Old October 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

For those of you in this situation, please see PNY's promotion:

PNY
Old October 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have heard that PNY is telling folks that some equivalent models are not available.

Also, this is noted on the link sky provided:
Quote:
Once PNY declares that the sent video card is indeed from BFG Tech the customer will receive an email regarding the unique (one time) promotion code (which will be contained in an encrypted link) that can be used to purchase a PNY video card for up to 25% off prices on PNY.com. Prices are fixed and the discount will not be displayed. All credit cards must be US issued.
I would make sure that PNY will accept your credit card before sending in the defective video card. The next term listed there says:
Quote:
After the purchase of a PNY video card with the discount code, which includes shipping, the system will display the Sales Order information. Canadian customers receive free UPS STANDARD shipping and are responsible for all tax and duty fees.
So they might take the credit card, but these two clauses indicate to me that you should check first.

I would also check that PNY will label the return video card as "Warranty"...that 25% discount might not look as good if the duties are applied.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 1, 2010, 11:35 AM
Banned
F@H

charges with ups over the border can be bothersome. very. the discount that they give you might not cover the difference.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Default Pays to read up on Current events.

Semiaccurate reported that BFG was left out to die from Nvidia.
XfX is next.

You can read the whole article at there site if you want.
SemiAccurate :: Why Nvidia is killing their partners with branded cards

"Nvidia does see the upcoming drop, and to brace for it, they are grabbing what revenue they can. That means people upstream of them, namely their AIB 'partners' are expendable. Nvidia has been cutting back partners, they just shut down BFG by not supplying them 400 series parts, and are trying to do the same to XFX now. Ironically, BFG's big strength was at Best Buy, I wonder why they had to die? "

Kyle Bennet from Hardocp also had allot to say on this . he is miffed and also agree that what Nvidia is doing does not make sense.

Introduction - NVIDIA Enters Retail with Direct Sales at Best Buy | [H]ard|OCP

Personally , I don't buy hardware from BigBox Company's like BestBuy. Why would you ?
You local PC shop that specializes in Hardware is far more knowledgeable and more experience with prices to match or better BestBuy. Last time i went to BestBuy with a friend because he wanted to buy a Video Card for his PC( after I told him bad Idea) we ended up walking out after they didnt want to price match an already outdated 9800GT without reason. Just comical.

Nvidia is headed down a Bad Path. Jensen H is killing them , IMHOP.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:36 PM
Banned
F@H

you think xfx is kicking the bucket? its radeon sales were pretty decent, i reckon.

plus upcoming parts should do the trick as well.

but being diversified like giga and asus? for the win
Old October 6, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0007 View Post
Semiaccurate reported that BFG was left out to die from Nvidia.
XfX is next.

You can read the whole article at there site if you want.
SemiAccurate :: Why Nvidia is killing their partners with branded cards

"Nvidia does see the upcoming drop, and to brace for it, they are grabbing what revenue they can. That means people upstream of them, namely their AIB 'partners' are expendable. Nvidia has been cutting back partners, they just shut down BFG by not supplying them 400 series parts, and are trying to do the same to XFX now. Ironically, BFG's big strength was at Best Buy, I wonder why they had to die? "
Quote:
In any case, the high end was spared immediate death, but it is running into another wall, that of 'good enough'. A single high end GPU will power almost any game in existence on a 30" 2560 * 1600 monitor, and a mid-range one will do the same for a 1920 * 1200/1080p screen.
So where are my raytraced games then?
Old October 6, 2010, 04:29 PM

Usually if you read between the lines in Charlie's articles, you can find some kernels of truth, but the one quoted here you should be probably be reading every 5th line or so...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 6, 2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Usually if you read between the lines in Charlie's articles, you can find some kernels of truth, but the one quoted here you should be probably be reading every 5th line or so...this
This time, Charlie's Semiaccurate report is fairly accurate. When I heard about the Nvidia branded cards taking over at Best Buy some time last year, I thought it was just upper management trying to give the underlings some sort of excuse for the business failing. Now I come to find out that it was all true.

I don't think this is good for Nvidia. Look what happened to 3DFX and S3 when they tried the same thing. Both failed.
Old October 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have to agree with Linus on this one. If I only had a nickel for every time semi-accurate talks about some business decision that is going to spell the end for nvidia. I do find semi-accurate semi-amusing,though.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)