Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
It's just Zero and his buddies complaining that nvidia uses a couple more watts than ati I guess It's sad because it's stupid, no one in their right mind would pick a vehicle over another one because the engine runs cooler. Even if it uses 1L less per 100km it shouldn't be a factor. That's why nobody gives a goodgoddamn if fermi uses a couple more watts or runs a bit hotter, ati fanboys have completely blown it out of proportion and reality. I'd take a 470 over a 5870 any day, and I've had a 5870 before. If you were to care about the exact temperature every square cm your PC runs at and how your neighbours are doing and sh1t, you'd probably have a head full of white hair. Nvidia comes with cuda/physx and ati doesn't have something like that which most games actually use, so it's a winning factor for me.
We're not talking about cars here, we're talking about video cards. However, if you want to use a vehicle analogy, the proper one would be fuel efficiency, not engine heat. nVidia would be the car that can run a quarter mile slightly faster than the ATI card, but it'll consume twice as much gasoline while doing it. Sure, if you're a racer and you need the absolute fastest car available, you can put up with the extra fuel consumption because of the slightly better performance. However, for the vast majority of people, the extra savings from the better fuel efficiency of the ATI card is much more significant than the slightly better performance of the nVidia car. Considering a GTX 470 consumes significantly more power than a 5870 and doesn't perform as well, I'll stick with my 5870.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillerz View Post
thats when you buy Solar Panels from LogitestSolar..

my bro owns the company so plz do
Yeah, you could spend thousands of dollars on solar panels to offset the power consumption of your $500 GTX 480s, or on the other hand you could just choose different cards instead and save yourself the trouble and the cost.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:11 PM
Banned
F@H

lets say one uses a 5870 at full load 24/7, and another dude with the same exact setup choses to run his 480 24/7

what would the cost of electricity be, just to give one an idea? :)

lets say 1kwh=10c
Old August 14, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
lets say one uses a 5870 at full load 24/7, and another dude with the same exact setup choses to run his 480 24/7

what would the cost of electricity be, just to give one an idea? :)

lets say 1kwh=10c
A GTX 480 uses about 130W more power at full load than a 5870. That would be about $115 extra per year going with your numbers.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The way I see it though, I'd rather just have a single 480 instead of a 5870 and a gts250 for physx. It offsets the power consumption difference and the hassle of having 2 cards. If you don't care about physx though (I know zero doesn't lol), grabbing a 5870 would be a good choice. I like oranges, you like apples, I've got no problems with that, just don't say that oranges are bad/poisonous or something lol
Old August 14, 2010, 07:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The way I see it though, I'd rather just have a single 480 instead of a 5870 and a gts250 for physx. It offsets the power consumption difference and the hassle of having 2 cards. If you don't care about physx though (I know zero doesn't lol), grabbing a 5870 would be a good choice. I like oranges, you like apples, I've got no problems with that, just don't say that oranges are bad/poisonous or something lol
I'm not saying the GTX 480 is a bad card from a performance standpoint, but given its heat output and high power consumption, I don't think it's worth it compared to competing ATI cards or even a GTX 460 SLI setup (which would be faster anyway).
Old August 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I know you weren't, I'm just saying that people (not anyone specifically, just 'people' both here and on forums.ncix) shouldn't shoot down gtx480/70 that someone else (like me) recommends for a new build just because they heard someone say that some other dude heard another dude reading somewhere that 480/70 runs hot and consumes lots of electricity. The heat isn't a problem unless you're building matx, and the power shouldn't be a problem unless you're folding and footing your own bill. I can't stress enough that nvidia gives you that extra physx chip that ati card's don't, so even if it runs a bit hotter, consumes a bit more electricity, or is 50 bucks more expensive, it's still better than having a 5870 and another gts250 for physx (unless you don't care for physx).

and about this gtx460 sli stuff.. the 460 is short and ugly, it looks tiny even in my ancient haf922 and looks even funnier with 2 of them, so it's not gonna be an option for me. I do care about the aesthetics of my PC which is why I spent hours sleeving and cable management, it's not entirely about performance for me personally.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
I know you weren't, I'm just saying that people (not anyone specifically, just 'people' both here and on forums.ncix) shouldn't shoot down gtx480/70 that someone else (like me) recommends for a new build just because they heard someone say that some other dude heard another dude reading somewhere that 480/70 runs hot and consumes lots of electricity. The heat isn't a problem unless you're building matx, and the power shouldn't be a problem unless you're folding and footing your own bill. I can't stress enough that nvidia gives you that extra physx chip that ati card's don't, so even if it runs a bit hotter, consumes a bit more electricity, or is 50 bucks more expensive, it's still better than having a 5870 and another gts250 for physx (unless you don't care for physx).

and about this gtx460 sli stuff.. the 460 is short and ugly, it looks tiny even in my ancient haf922 and looks even funnier with 2 of them, so it's not gonna be an option for me. I do care about the aesthetics of my PC which is why I spent hours sleeving and cable management, it's not entirely about performance for me personally.
more sales for people who dont want to change their case to accomodate a fulll enght card as well.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, this could be interesting. I wonder if this will be released along with the AMD Bulldozer project? This means that I can finally get my second HD 5850! How low do you guys think the prices on that card will drop?
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 PC12800
1 x Sapphire HD 5850 (2 when the price drops)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal!ty Edition
2 x Western Digital Black 500 GB
LG DVD Burner with Lightscribe
Coolermaster Sniper Black edition
Corsair AX750 Modular PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
Old August 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Crysis View Post
I wonder if this will be released along with the AMD Bulldozer project?
No, and the two are completely unrelated. Bulldozer is coming out next year at the earliest.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
Top Prospect

for the program that u get for installing ur solar panels the government pays you for the energy that you give them. profit after like 10 years of continuous energy sold.

20 year warranty. good stuff
I have a GTX470 and im keeping with it. DX12 or anything like that wont come out in a while. 2 or 3 GTX470's would run about anything. plus im getting WaterCooling for my CPU and GPU maybe