Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Press Release

Regardless of what comes out in the near future, I'll keep my 480/5970 for a while as they both perform quite well. The performance increase must be significant enough for me to go WOW before making that jump again. While 10-20 % is good, it won't be long b4 the next line which could add the same increase, thus giving a significant enough increase to consider making that change. It never ends folks.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yes. i find it a crappy half arsed jobbe but better than renaming/reclocking schemes of past
Yeah, because I'm sure you're such an expert in semiconductor engineering that you are qualified to call this a crappy half-arsed "jobbe". Why don't you go tell that to ATI's engineers and see what they think about your evaluation of their product? Or better yet, go get a degree in electrical engineering so you can actually know what you're talking about when you make a post.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
Rookie

It's good to see ATi release another card as the HD5000 series sucks when tessellation is applied and the new HD6000 series will correct this problem as future DX11 games start using this feature more and more.

But the HD 5850 in crossfire is still an awesome set up. (GTX 460 sli for Nvidia lovers)

Metro 2033 in DX11 mode with full tessellation is the new benchmark as Crysis is old news.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie Bone View Post
It's good to see ATi release another card as the HD5000 series sucks when tessellation is applied and the new HD6000 series will correct this problem as future DX11 games start using this feature more and more.
Ya, something I wasn't really concerned with when picking up my 5 series card even though I knew they were a bit worse at tessellation than Nvidia's offerings. I knew there would be barely any games that truly put tessellation to good use, and by the time there were those kinds of games, I would have already upgraded to a new card. And I still think it won't be for a long while before we see games make heavy use of it.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Banned
F@H

you always end up paying more for a new product that supports x or y at launch. usually waiting for a refresh,unless you have bottomless pockets or you really have to have it, is the sensible thing
Old August 14, 2010, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

BROWSE ANOTHER SECTION WHAT DO I SEE
NVIDIA AND ATI DEBATE, WHEN WILL WE ALL AGREE?

IF ONE DIDN'T HAVE THE OTHER
THEN THE OTHER WOULD JUST BE THE DOMINANT BROTHER

Its a rap i found. only one part of the song
Old August 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillerz View Post
BROWSE ANOTHER SECTION WHAT DO I SEE
NVIDIA AND ATI DEBATE, WHEN WILL WE ALL AGREE?

IF ONE DIDN'T HAVE THE OTHER
THEN THE OTHER WOULD JUST BE THE DOMINANT BROTHER

Its a rap i found. only one part of the song
It's just Zero and his buddies complaining that nvidia uses a couple more watts than ati I guess It's sad because it's stupid, no one in their right mind would pick a vehicle over another one because the engine runs cooler. Even if it uses 1L less per 100km it shouldn't be a factor. That's why nobody gives a goodgoddamn if fermi uses a couple more watts or runs a bit hotter, ati fanboys have completely blown it out of proportion and reality. I'd take a 470 over a 5870 any day, and I've had a 5870 before. If you were to care about the exact temperature every square cm your PC runs at and how your neighbours are doing and sh1t, you'd probably have a head full of white hair. Nvidia comes with cuda/physx and ati doesn't have something like that which most games actually use, so it's a winning factor for me.

I dunno about metro 2033 as a benchmark though.. it looks to be pretty much a port from console, added a few useless rendering features that make 'high' detail mode look exactly the same as 'low' with a tint of yellow. Personally I don't look at benchmarks for any game that first had a console version, so it's pretty much Crysis 1 that's the deciding factor for me now...
Old August 14, 2010, 03:32 PM
Banned
F@H

well it depends of which fermi you talk. cant stand the power figures of the 465/470/480. the 460 is still not up to 5xxx series standards, but a good chunk of move in the right direction.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Palit/GeFo...s/perfwatt.gif

that graph kinda puts it in your face.look around and above the '100%'

what you see is ati, and one nv(well 768 and 1gig versions of the 460)
Old August 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
It's just Zero and his buddies complaining that nvidia uses a couple more watts than ati I guess It's sad because it's stupid, no one in their right mind would pick a vehicle over another one because the engine runs cooler. Even if it uses 1L less per 100km it shouldn't be a factor. That's why nobody gives a goodgoddamn if fermi uses a couple more watts or runs a bit hotter, ati fanboys have completely blown it out of proportion and reality. I'd take a 470 over a 5870 any day, and I've had a 5870 before. If you were to care about the exact temperature every square cm your PC runs at and how your neighbours are doing and sh1t, you'd probably have a head full of white hair. Nvidia comes with cuda/physx and ati doesn't have something like that which most games actually use, so it's a winning factor for me.

I dunno about metro 2033 as a benchmark though.. it looks to be pretty much a port from console, added a few useless rendering features that make 'high' detail mode look exactly the same as 'low' with a tint of yellow. Personally I don't look at benchmarks for any game that first had a console version, so it's pretty much Crysis 1 that's the deciding factor for me now...

Its actually a legitimate complaint. Increased wattage or power consumption results then in your power supply need to give more juice to said cards. That juice doesn't come from anywhere, it comes from the wall outlet you plugged into. This is then metered by hydro companies. If you are folding 24/7 or gaming quite a bit something that has more wattage consumption will result in your bill going up quite a bit per month and over the year overall.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

thats when you buy Solar Panels from LogitestSolar..

my bro owns the company so plz do