Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
huh I was about to say the ATI needs new cards because nvidia's line is pretty strong. ATI needs a better high end line-up because right now it isn't that good compared to the 460-480.
I guess if you count performance off how many Hot Dogs you can roast on the cards, then nVidia does have a (mystery-meat) leg up on ATI.

Me? Personally? I like to roast Smores over 470's and 480's. If you have a pair in SLI, you can even start a home-brewed nuclear fusion project with them!

My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
Top Prospect

everyone who says GTX470/480 are hot beasts THEY'RE NOT!! noobs.

I have a GTX470 and I game every day GTA IV on MAX

I still play Crysis on Very High 1280x1024 NO LAG it doesn't even go higher than 80 degrees and 70% fan isn't loud at ALL

My buddy has a GTX480 and his card doesn't get hot at all, UNLESS HE RUNS Folding@Home for like 2 hours!!

I run folding@home i keep my fan at 70% its perfectly under 75 degrees and the fan isnt loud.

i love my GTX470 ur just jelous that NVIDIA is coming back with higher numbers

Edit: fixed mistakes
Old August 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillerz View Post
everyone who says GTX470/480 are hot beasts THEY'RE NOT!! noobs.

I have a GTX470 and I game every day GTA IV on MAX

I still play Crysis on Very High 1280x1024 NO LAG it doesn't even go higher than 80 degrees and 70% fan isn't loud at ALL

My buddy has a GTX480 and his card doesn't get hot at all, UNLESS HE RUNS Folding@Home for like 2 hours!!

I run folding@home i keep my fan at 70% its perfectly under 75 degrees and the fan isnt loud.

i love my GTX470 ur just jelous that NVIDIA is coming back with higher numbers

Edit: fixed mistakes
Just because the temperature is reasonable doesn't mean the card still isn't producing a lot of heat. Temperature and heat are not the same thing.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect

still both ways the card is good. doesnt produce a lot of heat and temperatures are good as well.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

But you're wrong about that. The GTX465, 470, and 480 all consume a lot of power and produce a ton of heat, especially compared to ATI's offerings.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Oh man... don't make me listen to the temps/heat/wattage/power debate again. Why doesn't everyone who's ready to rant about this, go to a science class together, then duel each other with bunsen burners... that should qualify you to discuss the difference between heat and temperature. JEEZ! You people realize that 'flame war' wasn't meant to be taken literally right?

But back on topic... I don't get it? I'm a huge supporter of ATi's current lineup, and I've been really looking forward to the release of the 5890... why skip out on the current run, and jump to a new series of cards? There's more life in the current lineup, and very little BOTH sides can't do right now. Do we really need a new series that can play Crysis (an almost 4 year old game, that these guys are still in a pissing contest over) in a 4 billion x 3 billion resolution at no lower than 100 fps!? I'd much rather see the time put in to releasing a die shrink on the current lineup, and/or the reasonable jump the 5890 would show for the appropriate cost.

Besides... ATi's 'trump card' is their price point. They reach a much wider consumer audience that way. Everyone knows that Boardwalk and Parkplace are just for show. You win the game by finding the sweet spot between 'price to charge' and 'cost to build'.

Just my 2 cents...
Old August 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
Banned
F@H

i think they didnt go to the shrinkage because the brainiac at tsmc decided to skip 32nm.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i think they didnt go to the shrinkage because the brainiac at tsmc decided to skip 32nm.
I know that they want to stay ahead of Nvidia right now, but I'm curious just how much of an improvement the next series will be over the 5xxx seeing as how they've decided to keep the 40nm architecture...

I wonder if they will just beat the 480 and then start working on 28nm stuff, or if they will actually put some effort into the 6xxx.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:26 PM
Banned
F@H

we were supposed to see an intermediary product from what i read, more than that maybe a 10-20% performance increase for the same tdp?
Old August 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I know that they want to stay ahead of Nvidia right now, but I'm curious just how much of an improvement the next series will be over the 5xxx seeing as how they've decided to keep the 40nm architecture...
This is close to what I was thinking. If you just want to release another 40nm card to top or match the 480, call it the 5890 and leave it at that. Don't rehash your GPU lineup on faster clocks of the same tech and brand it the next generation...

This reminds me elementary school arguments:

ATi: "We have Eyefinity!"

nVidia: "oh yeah... We have Eyefinity + 1!" (3D)

ATi: "Oh yeah... well we have Eyefinity + Eyefinity!"

*the hand smacking fight ensues*