Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2010, 09:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Nonsense. As a "Gamer", my computer requires special power, completely unlike the power that browsers and word processors use. And that white paint coat has got to be worth at least a couple FPS, I figure.
Seems to be missing flames though?

And shouldn't the cables be sleeved in white, or at least grey? Black definitely doesn't work IMO.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Thx alot!! So it seems that NZXT can have some solid unit here, now let's wait for review:) some 1000W PSU round up wuold be nice up here it's a long time since we add one no? Last time was for the 850 unit. Or maybe a lower end 500-550W would be awesome for budget.
Here's a link for the 1000W model (should be basically identical): Kingwin Lazer Gold 1000W Review

Don't bother waiting for a roundup. Just head over to JonnyGURU, HardOCP, or Hardware Secrets and read their PSU reviews. They'll give you more information than one of SKYMTL's reviews will anyway.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The roundup are just to compare many PSU in some test, I surely take my PSU review from more then 1 source, like all the review I read:P Pretty nice one you got here, But as the guy mention, soldering suck alot. I don't know if this unit was in trouble but wow this is looking like the few first time we have do it in school XD My teacher would have give me a 0 on PCB soldering with a job like that haha:P The PSU look great for the rest. If NZXT get a black or red unit out it will be a great contender to some high end high priced PSU. Thx zero you are awesome to find info on PSU!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The soldering was actually pretty decent. I suspect mine is slightly better though, since I bought the review sample from Jeremy after he put it back together.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The soldering was actually pretty decent. I suspect mine is slightly better though, since I bought the review sample from Jeremy after he put it back together.
Then PSU soldering is maybe a bit different? I learn to solder for robotic and controll board\chip. I don't know how we call it in english but well, in french it's systèmes ordinés. But well, this kind of soldering would really be a fail according to my previous teacher to solder a microchip to a PCB.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 4, 2010, 10:52 PM
Banned
F@H

compared to a lot of units out there? not too shaby :)

can the ydo better? of course, but i guess profits go down as well, at least initially
Old August 4, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

VERY interested. Very. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Then PSU soldering is maybe a bit different? I learn to solder for robotic and controll board\chip. I don't know how we call it in english but well, in french it's systèmes ordinés. But well, this kind of soldering would really be a fail according to my previous teacher to solder a microchip to a PCB.

PSUs typically use a lot of solder because it reduces resistance along the trace paths which increases the PSU's efficiency. With most electronics you want the soldering to be as minimalistic as possible, but that isn't the case here. Many PSUs even have thick wires soldered to the bottom to further reduce resistance. It may not look incredibly clean, but as long as there's no risk of any shorts, excess solder is not a bad thing inside a PSU.