Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Exclamation howdoes 1 terabyte per second sound to you??!!!

That just sounds unreal....
here we are thinking 4ghz is fast
but with 50gbs thats just lightspeed
but imagine how good computer games are going to look in 5 years, all this 3d technology is coming out now
an it seems that by then it will be customary for games to be fully 3d within a room....

This article was found by legit reviews here it is
link to article: Intel Revolutionizes Computer Design with Silicon Photonics : Press Releases
Quote:
SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 27, 2010 – Intel Corporation today announced an important advance in the quest to use light beams to replace the use of electrons to carry data in and around computers. The company has developed a research prototype representing the world’s first silicon-based optical data connection with integrated lasers. The link can move data over longer distances and many times faster than today’s copper technology; up to 50 gigabits of data per second. This is the equivalent of an entire HD movie being transmitted each second.

Today computer components are connected to each other using copper cables or traces on circuit boards. Due to the signal degradation that comes with using metals such as copper to transmit data, these cables have a limited maximum length. This limits the design of computers, forcing processors, memory and other components to be placed just inches from each other. Today’s research achievement is another step toward replacing these connections with extremely thin and light optical fibers that can transfer much more data over far longer distances, radically changing the way computers of the future are designed and altering the way the datacenter of tomorrow is architected.

Silicon photonics will have applications across the computing industry. For example, at these data rates one could imagine a wall-sized 3D display for home entertainment and videoconferencing with a resolution so high that the actors or family members appear to be in the room with you. Tomorrow’s datacenter or supercomputer may see components spread throughout a building or even an entire campus, communicating with each other at high speed, as opposed to being confined by heavy copper cables with limited capacity and reach. This will allow datacenter users, such as a search engine company, cloud computing provider or financial datacenter, to increase performance, capabilities and save significant costs in space and energy, or help scientists build more powerful supercomputers to solve the world’s biggest problems.

Justin Rattner, Intel chief technology officer and director of Intel Labs, demonstrated the Silicon Photonics Link at the Integrated Photonics Research conference in Monterey, Calif. The 50Gbps link is akin to a “concept vehicle” that allows Intel researchers to test new ideas and continue the company’s quest to develop technologies that transmit data over optical fibers, using light beams from low cost and easy to make silicon, instead of costly and hard to make devices using exotic materials like gallium arsenide. While telecommunications and other applications already use lasers to transmit information, current technologies are too expensive and bulky to be used for PC applications.

“This achievement of the world’s first 50Gbps silicon photonics link with integrated hybrid silicon lasers marks a significant achievement in our long term vision of ‘siliconizing’ photonics and bringing high bandwidth, low cost optical communications in and around future PCs, servers, and consumer devices” Rattner said.

The 50Gbps Silicon Photonics Link prototype is the result of a multi-year silicon photonics research agenda, which included numerous “world firsts.” It is composed of a silicon transmitter and a receiver chip, each integrating all the necessary building blocks from previous Intel breakthroughs including the first Hybrid Silicon Laser co-developed with the University of California at Santa Barbara in 2006 as well as high-speed optical modulators and photodetectors announced in 2007.

The transmitter chip is composed of four such lasers, whose light beams each travel into an optical modulator that encodes data onto them at 12.5Gbps. The four beams are then combined and output to a single optical fiber for a total data rate of 50Gbps. At the other end of the link, the receiver chip separates the four optical beams and directs them into photo detectors, which convert data back into electrical signals. Both chips are assembled using low-cost manufacturing techniques familiar to the semiconductor industry. Intel researchers are already working to increase the data rate by scaling the modulator speed as well as increase the number of lasers per chip, providing a path to future terabit/s optical links – rates fast enough to transfer a copy of the entire contents of a typical laptop in one second.

This research is separate from Intel’s Light Peak technology, though both are components of Intel’s overall I/O strategy. Light Peak is an effort to bring a multi-protocol 10Gbps optical connection to Intel client platforms for nearer-term applications. Silicon Photonics research aims to use silicon integration to bring dramatic cost reductions, reach tera-scale data rates, and bring optical communications to an even broader set of high-volume applications. Today’s achievement brings Intel a significant step closer to that goal.
tell me what you think....
Old July 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think one more time Intel have something big. And that you do a copy pasta of yourself from the other forum:P mouhahaha great article!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 27, 2010, 01:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I think one more time Intel have something big. And that you do a copy pasta of yourself from the other forum:P mouhahaha great article!
lol, yeah i was to lazy to rewrite my comment:P
yeah it seems inel always has there up and downs at the exact same time... they have a break through but then they limit there cpu ocing with certin models...
Old July 27, 2010, 01:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I get suspicious of any new technology that promises huge leaps in performance. The computer industry right now has us doing consistent upgrades through incremental performance increases; any huge leap in performance will take ages for the software to take advantage of, thus giving users less reason to upgrade. Perhaps if a smaller player were to develop something big, it might make it to market quickly, but the major players such as Intel may not be too eager to see this stuff in your homes anytime soon.

That being said, looks interesting and I hope I am wrong about seeing applications for us soon based on photonics.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 27, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I get suspicious of any new technology that promises huge leaps in performance. The computer industry right now has us doing consistent upgrades through incremental performance increases; any huge leap in performance will take ages for the software to take advantage of, thus giving users less reason to upgrade. Perhaps if a smaller player were to develop something big, it might make it to market quickly, but the major players such as Intel may not be too eager to see this stuff in your homes anytime soon.

That being said, looks interesting and I hope I am wrong about seeing applications for us soon based on photonics.

I agree, to a point. The invention of silicon based (general, FET, etc) transistors was a huge leap in performance, mostly (at the time) from a size perspective, but it didnt change much in the way of performance for quite a few years. It just allowed us to jam more stuff into a smaller box, which in a way was a performance increase. Instead of room-sized computers, we started to see hand-sized calculators in as short as 5 to 7 years after the invention of Solid-state.

Technology in general is always incremental. Vacuum Tubes to Solid-state is a perfect example of a revolutionary advancement that still only allowed evolution to occur. As we approach the limits of atomic-scale transistors, a revolutionary step will have to occur. When it does, it wont be a huge improvement in speed/size/etc, but it will pave the way for future evolutionary steps to begin.
Old July 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

Intel has been looking into light-based data transfer systems as an alternative to USB 3.0 (which is why they have refused to integrate USB 3.0 support into their chipsets). Based on that, I would think that they want to get this sort of technology out as fast as they can.
Old July 27, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't get what it will change, sure the "cables" connecting everything will be faster but SATA6 still outperforms hard drives and SSD's, and it's a similar story with every other interface. The actual components themselves will be the biggest bottlenecks (3D projector with a resolution over 100MP? Hell, just video in general that size....),
Old August 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

I fear that upon the widespread adaptation of this technology, we will become scarily closer to the advent of A.I.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old August 1, 2010, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I don't get what it will change, sure the "cables" connecting everything will be faster but SATA6 still outperforms hard drives and SSD's, and it's a similar story with every other interface. The actual components themselves will be the biggest bottlenecks (3D projector with a resolution over 100MP? Hell, just video in general that size....),
The components will catch up to the interconnect, eventually. I think the main thing is that the connection standard be accepted first and then the component makers will be able to build for that, improve their technologies and will take advantage of it in time.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. I have not read the whole thing but i am now 2. it looks like a basic press release with a set launch date of 2011 so this is happening pretty quick. 3 i know before anyone says it "toms" omg but that is where i seen it first. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sil...ams,10961.html

edit i am a dope i forgot it was [ANANDTECH] Intel's 50Gbps Silicon Photonics Link: The Future of Interfaces - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News