Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default ASRock P55 Extreme4 Brings Four SATA III and USB 3.0 Ports

ASRock, a company known for their unique and often inventive products is said to be launching its ninth Intel P55 board, the P55 Extreme4. To date, nearly all Intel chipset motherboards have featured only 2 SATA 6Gbps ports, the limitation of the add in chip. However, ASRock clearly sees a need to expand this standard and has include two, 2-port co... [ Read full article ]
Old July 8, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, that looks like a beefy motherboard. Nice to see someone trying to adopt newer technology on a more full scale! Go ASRock!

Has anyone dealt with them for warranties though?
Old July 8, 2010, 12:32 PM
Banned
F@H

indeed. i like what i see around the socket :)
Old July 8, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Interesting. But I'm curious how it's all connected together, as things like the four SATA3 slots, and the two x16 PCI-E slots involve more bandwidth than the chipset has to offer (without help). Nothing up on Asrock's website yet.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Interesting. But I'm curious how it's all connected together, as things like the four SATA3 slots, and the two x16 PCI-E slots involve more bandwidth than the chipset has to offer (without help). Nothing up on Asrock's website yet.

techPowerUp! News :: ASRock Readies P55 Extreme4, Packs Four USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps Ports Each

According to TPU: "Connections to these four controllers is conveniently handled by configuring the PCI-Express x4 port from the P55 PCH to work as four x1 ports, apart from the four x1 ports it gives apart from the x4 port."
Old July 8, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sigh. So there really isn't anything special here, except for the extra physical sockets? Not impressed. Call me crazy, but I've always been of the opinion that a board should be able to run a pair of SATA ports at maximum (i.e. RAID 0) without a bottlenecking occurring further down the line. As old as it is, at least first-gen DMI has been able to do that with a pair of SATA2 connections. Here, not going to happen.

The really stupid thing is that quite a few X58 boards are sitting on four unused 2.0 lanes, even after giving full bandwidth to a pair of x16 slots, and the makers just keep cramming this stuff on to the mainstream chipsets.