Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just a 'reminder' of the source for the piece.
Clicking the link on FiXT's OP brings you to here:Buffalo Keeping IDE Afloat with Solid State Drive Upgrade Option | Hardware Canucks
Scrolling down a bit shows the source: Buffalo upgrade its IDE SSD up to 256GB Akihabara News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 7, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just a 'reminder' of the source for the piece.
You mean buffalo directly: 2.5????????????????????USB??????PATA HDD???SSD?256GB???|???????

Not going to bother with the whole semantics of sourcing when there is a manufacturer's press release, but in actual fact because I can't read Japanese, the source I obtained it from AKIHABARA who posted the piece at 4:49 JST, so sometime yesterday evening would have been the original. There was nothing posted in English, so I don't exactly know how TCMagazine got a hold of the piece (no source there).

Last edited by FiXT; July 7, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old July 7, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
And the annoyingly fat ribbon cables which made cable management a complete pain in the butt
Me and my knife actually miss rounding IDE cables.

I don't see the point of making a ridiculously expensive drive for an old interface though. Anyone trying to use a dead interface would probably be using it to save money in the first place.
Old July 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only real call I could see for a (more expensive) IDE SSD option would be for a laptop, but then again, if your laptop has an IDE HDD (like mine does) it's probably an old(er) single core and you could almost buy a whole new laptop for what it would cost to replace the IDE drive with a SSD.

Anybody with a desktop PC that only supports IDE not only needs to upgrade the whole platform, but if that's not an option, they'd be better off getting a PCI SATA card...........

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 7, 2010, 02:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not even usb 3.0?
Old July 7, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Why would anyone make a USB 3 external encolsure that used an IDE drive? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
IDE needs to die. For the amount of board real-estate it takes up...I'd rather see FOUR more SATA ports.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Arrow

This should be illegal! :)