Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Well, I've heard in the past that their target market never was the gamer, but consumers of more specialized computing - maybe like missile tracking systems etc...The gaming market was just a source of cash while they developed their product and potential markets- not sure how much truth is behind it.
Game contracts:millions to Tens of millions of dollars.

Defense contracts Hundreds of millions to billions of dollars.

You do the math.
Old November 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, I do not want another piece of hardware in my PC to deal with, buy, upgrade just so I can play the next Crysis which will probably be ported from the "Xbox 540" anyways :P

In the Tweakguides forum there's a thread on whether or not PC gaming is on the downturn vs the consoles. If we have to add another piece of hardware that has to be upgraded every year just to play the latest games with some candy turned on, then PC gaming is for sure going to be VERY niche.

In the thread we talk about things like consoles are easier to develop for, wider audience, cheaper... you know the drill. Making it even more confusing and complicated to play a game on your PC with another piece of hardware to deal with is just going to alienate a lot more people than it already does. Soon it will not be worth it for developers to make great PC games because the market is too small. We'll just get crappy console ports and then might as well just buy an xbox.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

People have been saying that gaming for the PC is dead for years now- I'm not sure whether it is or not, but no doubt the move to multiplayer console games has torn a chunk out of it. Regardless, PCs will always be the most important frontier for new technology and as each generation of console starts to age, PCs come into their own by outshining these dated platforms, and providing fertile pastures for new developments. New consoles come out too seldom to take that role.