Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Steam survey (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/3345-steam-survey.html)

Prof. Dr. Silver November 21, 2007 01:40 AM

Steam survey

Good evening all,

Check this out: Information given out by Valve, the online Steam Platform.

"Earlier this week, we reset the Steam Hardware Survey. The first 135,000 responses offer a preview of the latest hardware trends amongst Steam users.
  • 40% of your systems have 2GB or more system RAM on board.
  • Just over 7% of respondents can run a DX10 path for graphics.
  • About 40% of your PCs are running with multiple CPU cores.
  • Most of your systems are equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce video card.
  • Windows Vista is the OS of choice for 14% of you.
Wow...these numbers actually surprise me quite a bit....Only 14% on Vista and half of them on DX10!!!

Prof. Dr. Silver

magictorch November 21, 2007 08:12 AM

not too surprising.........

............Given the insane requirements for GPU power in vista to play the latest games.

Better not show this to any of the other software developers otherwise they'll loose their motivation to develop expensive DX10 games in that desert of a market.

Something will have to change otherwise DX10 games will be akin to the concept car.

Maybe there will be a dramatic shift come the new year when more people have bought the more powerful, affordable GPUs.

Personally ill switch when they have single GPUs that can actually play the best DX10 games over 40fps at a setting that outshines the best DX9 can offer in XP.

Its too depressing the thought of buying a 8800GTX only to see it fumble though at 30-35fps oc'd in Crysis.

MpG November 21, 2007 08:58 AM

Here's the survey, BTW.

Valve's Source engine has always been notorious for giving good performance on older/slower equipment. When you look at this survey, you can understand Valve's reasoning for making it that way. If there was ever a RL demonstration that you sell more Cavaliers than Cadilacs...

As of this posting, there are apparently 33 people who play on a 6" monitor...:shok:

Thund3rball November 21, 2007 12:07 PM

One problem with the stats is how many people that are running Vista are dual booting? I bet LOTS because I already know many on other forums that are doing just that! God knows now that I have a DX10 card I might install Vista on another drive but it will not be my main OS. I would just like to game in DX10 when that starts to take off a bit more that's all. I like XP just fine :)

enaberif November 21, 2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 26949)
............Given the insane requirements for GPU power in vista to play the latest games.

Better not show this to any of the other software developers otherwise they'll loose their motivation to develop expensive DX10 games in that desert of a market.

Something will have to change otherwise DX10 games will be akin to the concept car.

Maybe there will be a dramatic shift come the new year when more people have bought the more powerful, affordable GPUs.

Personally ill switch when they have single GPUs that can actually play the best DX10 games over 40fps at a setting that outshines the best DX9 can offer in XP.

Its too depressing the thought of buying a 8800GTX only to see it fumble though at 30-35fps oc'd in Crysis.

I personally think it will work the opposite way as game developers will see that less people use Vista than figured and will still develop for DX9

Squeetard November 21, 2007 01:38 PM

The problem currently is that no games are truly dx10. All they are doing is basically dx9 with shader model 4 added on. A true dx10 title will have to be written from scratch with zero dx9 compatibility. The main feature, the one we should all be screaming for, of dx10 is the geometry shader. Nonexistent in dx9. The biggest benefit is that it will allow all the shaders to be applied in a single pass, not 6-8 passes like current dx games. Imagine the performance.