Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Your E758 will support every LGA1366 CPU out there. Intel basically mandated universal LGA1366 compatibility for all X58 boards with the only thing necessary being a BIOS update at the most.
But how much of a guarantee is that? They kept lga775 for a good length of time, but there were still electrical changes mandated that technically made numerous old boards obsolete for newer procs.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2010, 07:10 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,479

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
But how much of a guarantee is that? They kept lga775 for a good length of time, but there were still electrical changes mandated that technically made numerous old boards obsolete for newer procs.
Exactly.

People forget that most of this was due to chipset changes and limitations, too. Yes, LGA775 was around forever, but the downside to that was they upped the power req on the new chips, and thus some old boards didnt have the capability to run the newer chips etc. P35 was a terrible time to jump on the 775 bandwagon.

Sockets being the same doesnt mean compatibility. Ever.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
But how much of a guarantee is that? They kept lga775 for a good length of time, but there were still electrical changes mandated that technically made numerous old boards obsolete for newer procs.
There won't be any electrical changes to the socket because it's being replaced with the next generation of CPUs. Westmere is the final Nehalem refresh.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2010, 04:46 AM
tri5cui7's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sackville, N.B.
Posts: 181

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Exactly.

People forget that most of this was due to chipset changes and limitations, too. Yes, LGA775 was around forever, but the downside to that was they upped the power req on the new chips, and thus some old boards didnt have the capability to run the newer chips etc. P35 was a terrible time to jump on the 775 bandwagon.

Sockets being the same doesnt mean compatibility. Ever.

I didn't know that, although I've seen motherboards that don't list extreme intels as compatable, is that due to power consumption or other reasons?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2010, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 211

My System Specs

Default

the question is will they drop the price of the 960? which is more current?

from what i've seen the 950 came out before the 960, which both came out before the 930. so if a 6-core non-extreme is coming out at the 600 price point, the 960 should drop as well.

IMO, having a faster chip to start with means less work to overclock. and i'm thinking logic would say the higher chip can run cooler @ the same clock speed. i.e. 930 @ 4GHz vs 950 @ 4GHz? yes/no?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,577

My System Specs

Default

No, they are clearing out 'old stock' to make way for new. You will not see the new replacements to the original i7s go down in price at all.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2010, 09:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default sweet

maybe the phenoms will follow suit
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2010, 07:59 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
I didn't know that, although I've seen motherboards that don't list extreme intels as compatable, is that due to power consumption or other reasons?
Depends on the board.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 23

My System Specs

Default

Meh, what we really need is a slow / cheap i5 quad around the $125 mark to compete with the lower end AMD quads.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 vs Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Hanibal{CA} New Builds 18 August 10, 2009 07:53 PM
Intel Drops Prices (except Core i7) misterlarry Press Releases & Tech News 11 July 22, 2009 07:26 PM
Comment Thread: A Summer Road Trip with the Intel Core i7 975 EE 3oh6 CPU's and Motherboards 19 June 11, 2009 10:00 AM
Intel Slashes Core 2 Processor Prices MAC Press Releases & Tech News 19 August 8, 2008 11:51 AM