Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default KINGMAX Introduces World's First Invisible DRAM Heat Spreader

KINGMAX, the world leading manufacturer of DRAM Module and Flash Products, announces the epochal product ? DDR3 2400MHz with Nano Thermal Dissipation Technology. The new product abandons the traditional heat sink which has heavy and huge size, instead of the Nano Thermal Dissipation Technology to provide higher performance and economical power.To c... [ Read full article ]
Old June 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, there's clearly no imminent release in English-speaking countries.

That aside, I'd love to know exactly how the coating would improve the heat conduction? The whole point of a heatsink is to offer a larger surface area to compensate for air's limited cooling abilities. Unless this is something similar to bead-blasting surfaces?

And 2 degrees isn't exactly an earth-shattering improvement where memory is concerned. And if you care about those 2 degrees, you've already got a fan aimed directly at your sticks.
Old June 8, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This article sounds like it was run through an online translator.

Last edited by headsh0t; June 8, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 8, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Well, there's clearly no imminent release in English-speaking countries.

That aside, I'd love to know exactly how the coating would improve the heat conduction? The whole point of a heatsink is to offer a larger surface area to compensate for air's limited cooling abilities. Unless this is something similar to bead-blasting surfaces?

And 2 degrees isn't exactly an earth-shattering improvement where memory is concerned. And if you care about those 2 degrees, you've already got a fan aimed directly at your sticks.
If I'm not mistaken, this should be based on a silicone polymer that is highly thermally conductive in one direction while being a thermal insulator in the other direction. Therefore, forcing heat away from crucial components.

I agree that this won't be much of an improvement, it should only result in slightly cheaper RAM with slightly lower temps and better clearance compared to RAM with beefy heatsinks.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Emperor's New RAM?
Old June 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
Banned
F@H

i like heatspreaders because :

1-they look cool
2-they give ram some protection, make them sturdier
3-dust wont usually accumulate on the chips themselves, rather on the base where its easy to clean off.
4-insert here :)
Old June 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i like heatspreaders because :

1-they look cool
2-they give ram some protection, make them sturdier
3-dust wont usually accumulate on the chips themselves, rather on the base where its easy to clean off.
4-insert here :)

4-They look BADA$$
Old June 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this should be based on a silicone polymer that is highly thermally conductive in one direction while being a thermal insulator in the other direction. Therefore, forcing heat away from crucial components.
Seriously? I had no idea that directional conductivity existed. Crazy. You'd think they'd apply this to other parts on computers.
Old June 8, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really wonder if this will help oc or not just curious you know? even if just that little bit
Old June 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
This article sounds like it was ran through an online translator.
It's a press release from the manufacturer's website, written in English. And "was ran" isn't exactly proper English either

As for the product, I think it's pretty neat in that it gets even slightly better temps without a heat sink. I mean, that's just cool. I don't have an engineer's mind so I can't think of a lot of other practical applications, but I'm sure someone else can (or has).