Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Slated for July

Less than a year old and Microsoft is prepping the first service pack for Windows 7, however unlike its predecessor Vista, users are not desperate for this release.

The company announced Monday at TechEd, a Microsoft IT conference, that it would be launching the public beta of Windows 7 and Server 2008 SP1 before the end of July with a final buil... [ Read full article ]
Old June 8, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's out already ha ha. by unholy source's
Old June 8, 2010, 01:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This will make it a little easier/faster when re-installing the OS, but other than that I don't really care. One thing I don't like about Win 7 is how it installs drivers... you can turn the auto-installation temporarily through the back door, but it's a pain in the butt. As well, I've found that some of the "Windows 7" drivers that Microsoft recommends and Win 7 downloads don't work as well as just using Vista or XP drivers installed in compatibility mode. I guess that's not the OS's fault... still waiting on better driver support from manufacturers.

The only other thing I'd like at this point is a little more visual customization... new designs on where the taskbar and start menu appear and what they look like, something like that. A bit of aero on overdrive or something...
Old June 10, 2010, 05:22 AM
Jaquith

Default Windows 7 SP1

> gingerbee

Huh??!! NO, Windows SP1 is NOT available other than Beta. Suggest YOU check your sources. Unlike XP SP1 which offered significant changes, Windows 7 is primary an aggregation of available updates. :pt1cable:
Old June 10, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the beta is still almost the whole pack i have been using it on a vm machine for almost 3 weeks so what are you talking about. your right the offical sp1 for 7 is not released until next week but 99% or 100% of all of what need is there,but i am not going to argue semantics with you cause that's all that anybody seems to want to do here is ARGUE.
fyi all sp are updates rolled into one pack.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
the beta is still almost ... argue semantics
Not my position to "argue" at all, I simply don't want people to waste their time nor go crazy trying to FIND the nonexistence certified - Windows 7 SP1.

I have done work for years with Microsoft and installing WIN 7 Beta SP1 is ill advised on a "production" machine. Often Betas, including Microsoft, leave remnants, won't uninstall properly, and/or irrevocably interfere with future certified updating.

Therefore, unless people [image] their primary [OS] drive, know how to properly restore it (System Restore typically won't work), or dual-boot [testing OS] plus don't mind the aggravating process to keep a clean OS - DON'T INSTALL the BETA.

Windows 7 SP1 is no big deal in truth, and is very premature but most System Administrators have been waiting for Windows 7 SP1 before even considering Windows 7. Meaning, Large Enterprise business skipped Vista all together and are currently running XP SP3 only. They also have a "hold-off" mentality towards Windows 7! I have the same feelings with my small company.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a enthusiast site. i never told anyone to go hunting sp1 official all i stated was that for those of us who would like to play around with it you can get it. adn there are some here who would.

Your right sp1 for 7 is nothing big at all the reason's it's early you and i both know because of all that business that is waiting for sp1. thanks for making your self clear and welcome to hwc another member from the south. sorry about the oil spill hope it's not effecting your life too bad.

the parts places i do is the same way "only when sp1 comes out" glad to have new members
Old June 10, 2010, 06:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I realize this is an enthusiast site, my "home/play" system with CF & OC is a mid-level PC, and I know even enthusiast can jump in to things. An OS beta is far different than that of a beta nVidia or ATI driver.

As I said, ghost or dual boot your OS drive a Beta everything!

{ Thanks - yep, I am on the West coast of Florida and my wife is a Realtor and it has COST her 4 sales to date. Wonder if BP will pay her $$$. People are afraid to buy and Florida's real estate/economy is bad enough!!! }

Last edited by Jaquith; June 10, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There will ALWAYS be a service pack. Hell there not linux that can just poop out version 10,001
Old June 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquith View Post

{ Thanks - yep, I am on the West coast of Florida and my wife is a Realtor and it has COST her 4 sales to date. Wonder if BP will pay her $$$. People are afraid to buy and Florida's real estate/economy is bad enough!!! }
well that sucks sorry to hear that and i had heard that the market down there was getting rock so i am sure this helps and BP better get off there arse and fix the problem this is nuts.