Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Seagate Delivers Worlds Fastest Hard Drive For Laptop Computers; Momentus XT Solid St

Seagate is throwing their hat into the ring in a big way, with the release of a hybrid SSD/HDD.Seagate today announced channel and OEM shipments of theMomentus XT drive, the world?s fastest 2.5-inch laptop PC hard drive, combining SSD-like performance with the massive capacity and much lower cost of HDDs. The Momentus XT drive also features Adapt... [ Read full article ]
Old May 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

maybe this is good but i am a little confused the specs don't state any solid state memory at all? wait for a review i guess. besides it 32mb cache

edit found it on data sheet 4gb solid state. not bad should do pretty good I hope anything that helps bring down the price

Last edited by gingerbee; May 24, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Says no special setup needed:
Quote:
The Momentus XT drive installs as easily as a traditional 9.5mm-high notebook drive for new systems or laptop upgrades and, unlike early hybrid drives, operates independently of the operating system and the motherboard chipset.
I guess there is an algorithm in the firmware that negates the need for trim?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is Anand's review

Seagate's Momentus XT Reviewed, Finally a Good Hybrid HDD - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Look really good for price/performance, anyone know the release day?

Edit: Found it in stock on newgg.com, I hope it's coming soon in Canada, I want one in my notebook.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You can already buy them in the states. A Seagate rep said that it should be in Canada within a week or so.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as I can remember, hybrid thing never work like it should previously in the computer history. This is for sure a good innovation. The question I am asking is, will the data go trough the SSD to reach the HD? which would kill the chip pretty fast using all their cycle. Time will tell us.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Kinda would like to see this in a 3.5" size with some added performance for desktop users
Old May 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
As long as I can remember, hybrid thing never work like it should previously in the computer history. This is for sure a good innovation. The question I am asking is, will the data go trough the SSD to reach the HD? which would kill the chip pretty fast using all their cycle. Time will tell us.
Reading Anand's review, all writes go to the HDD, and the firmware simply moves all frequently-accessed small files to the SSD. So the SSD Nand is used mostly for reads.

Looks pretty good. You get good OS load times, and decent app load times. Writes seem normal for a laptop drive. Expensive for a laptop drive, but not when compared to SSDs.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Reading Anand's review, all writes go to the HDD, and the firmware simply moves all frequently-accessed small files to the SSD. So the SSD Nand is used mostly for reads.

Looks pretty good. You get good OS load times, and decent app load times. Writes seem normal for a laptop drive. Expensive for a laptop drive, but not when compared to SSDs.
Thx chris now my biggest fear about this disk are gone Happy to see a new familly of disk in! congrat's seagate!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and it's slc nand wow looking pretty good thanks for the heads up review been way to busy lately to even get online and read the news.