Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, done it myself a couple times. Yank the custom heatsink...dig out the original box where I always store the original heatsinks (and mounting equipment if necessary) and replace em. THEN send it back to evga. As long as there is no scratches or any visible damage evga doesn't care.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 19, 2010, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

RIP BFG, your 7900 GT RMA was a pain, but it did work in the end.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old May 19, 2010, 06:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I hope this post isn't too long but here it goes...

First of all, I don't think for a second this is the "end of BFG". Rather, they are restructuring and concentrating on several core business units in order to try and get back on the proper footing. It is unfortunate but launching a card like Fermi reqiures a large capital investment (buying sufficient parts, supplying the retail channels, marketing, etc) but the initial margins are slim versus the amount of money a company needs to put into anything else associated with a launch. XFX experienced the exact some thing and decided to sit this round out. So it seems like BFG just didn't have the capital or the supply chain confidence necessary to bite the bullet and launch the GTX 480 and GTX 470. As for the whole "ATI" thing, I'm breathing a sigh of relief to a certain extent due to the supply constraints I know exist on that front as well.

In my opinion, this also has NOTHING to do with Fermi per se but rather some business decisions on BFG's part that didn't quite pan out.

You see, EVGA did their homework and diversified into some key markets in order to weather the storm that came with NVIDIA's Fermi delays. From my understanding, their motherboard business unit propped up the company and did until profits from Fermi sales started trickling in. Nonetheless, they hired the right people, marketed their products properly and were able to meet expectations when it came time to launch Fermi cards.

BFG on the other hand burned some of their largest clients when they brought out their Phobos system. Before that time, system integrators like Maingear, iBuyPower, etc. were actively buying BFG cards to fit into their systems. Then BFG goes and launches a competitor to these boutique vendors and they all went looking elsewhere rather than buy from a competing company. The numbers of GPUs these SIs bought probably wasn't massive but every little bit counted when the bottom fell out of the market. Not only that but the whole "high end custom PC" retail space was ALREADY suffering before the Phobos was introduced simply because Dell's purchase of Alienware meant some serious price competition was suddenly introduced.

The Phobos is a great system but careful examination of some key aspects leads me to believe that it never sold as well as BFG had hoped. First of all, we suddenly saw a bunch of LS-1000 and LS-1250 power supplies with custom cable lengths (designed especially for the Phobos) show up at Newegg, Fry's, etc. as white box units. This points towards a stockpile of PSUs they were hoping would find homes in sold Phobos systems just sitting around collecting dust. In addition, awareness of the Phobos was and still is next to nil. There was very little in the way of marketing, reviews or new about the systems and we all know you don't sell $2000++ high end systems by word of mouth. So, the large investment never paid off and it seemed BFG continued this trend with the Demios laptops. I mean simply the amount of R&D and manufacturing expenses when trying to start up a boutique PC line boggles the mind.

So, you had a situation where none of BFG's "divisions" were doing particluarly well which eventually led to them not being able to find the money necessary to compete in the GPU market. That goes for NVIDIA cards AND ATI's.

For the time being, I think this move benefits both the market in general and BFG. They are left to build up a "war chest" of funds so to speak for a possible return to the GPU arena sometime in the future through the use of a streamlined business model. Unfortunately, this has also meant many BFG employees are currently looking for new jobs but one of the major expendatures of any company is its labour force so cutbacks had to happen. For the market this is a good thing because NVIDIA is now able to concentrate on a slightly smaller group of board partners which will means less supply constraints and improved availability from all of the remaining AIBs.
Old May 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
Banned
F@H

well, i hope they do good and come back when fermi hits (official) third stage :)

in the meantime, anything above 8800gt out there probably loses a tad of value due to rma concerns :)
Old May 19, 2010, 04:15 PM

My System Specs

Definitely a shame. BFG is the only other Nvidia manufacturer I would buy from besides XFX.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
This is not correct according to the EVGA lifetime warranty.

All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive our limited lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)

Products received by EVGA for RMA replacement that include third party attachments (CPU Heatsink Backplate, Memory chip heatsinks, etc) will have the package returned to the sender. EVGA may choose to remove the 3rd party attachments to continue processing the RMA at its own discretion.

There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.

The product is returned to EVGA in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modification must be reversed before sending in the product for replacement.

To me, this appears as if EVGA will honor the lifetime warranty as long as the card wasn't damaged
when it comes to modifications/alterations.

Am I mistaken?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You're not mistaken. I've sent back a card for RMA to EVGA after having an aftermarket cooler on it with no problems.
EVGA doesn't technically cover cards used with aftermarket cooling as far as I know, but the fact is that it's basically impossible to tell if you have used aftermarket cooling or not, so unless it's completely obvious that the card was damaged by improper cooler installation or something along those lines, they won't deny you coverage since they really just can't tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
First of all, I don't think for a second this is the "end of BFG". Rather, they are restructuring and concentrating on several core business units in order to try and get back on the proper footig.
And how profitable do you think those businesses are? Like you said yourself, their boutique PC division isn't very popular, and margins in the PSU market are pretty slim. Unless they cut back to a complete skeleton crew (if that's even possible with the amount of support they'll have to provide), I just don't see a very bright future here.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:05 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
EVGA doesn't technically cover cards used with aftermarket cooling as far as I know, but the fact is that it's basically impossible to tell if you have used aftermarket cooling or not, so unless it's completely obvious that the card was damaged by improper cooler installation or something along those lines, they won't deny you coverage since they really just can't tell.
They do allow after market cooling as long as the card is returned to factory cooling before sending the card in.

Quote:
The product is returned to EVGA in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modification must be reversed before sending in the product for replacement.
EVGA | Support | default

But they still don't have double lifetime warranty.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like BFG will be gone for good [H]ard|OCP - BFG Tech Down for the Count
Old July 6, 2010, 02:58 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, that's it for BFG. They're not going to be able to hang on by just selling PSUs and boutique PCs; they just don't have the market presence in either of those segments. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an announcement from them in the next few months saying that they're shutting down for good. A damn shame too. I'd rather see EVGA going out of business than BFG.
^ I called it. Now all we need is the announcement...
Old July 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillerz View Post
GTX470/480 Hydrocoppers are like best watercooling cards there is in the world
unless Area 51 has some GTX480A51E lol Area51Edition LOL! that would be sick if there was such thing llmfao
I think you need to read up on REAL waterblocks.... not Swiftech crap with heatpipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
Well, I guess I'll have to yank my BFG 8800 OC out, and mothball it next to my Voodoo 5500 in my "museum"(cardboard box in my closet). Ironically, they were the two best pc component purchases I've ever made. And they both still work like new.
Why can't you use it anymore? Afraid of it breaking or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
The Ferminator has claimed it's first victim...

I'v never ever bought an BFG card, I always found them overpriced (aka I could get one from somone else that was cheaper) My Nvidia cards have been Diamond (the orig), Asus, Aopen, Gainward, MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA.

If BFG isn't producing video cards anymore, how in the heck are they going to support a lifetime warranty on the cards out there, they'd have to either not honour the warranty or supply a replacement from a different manufacturer. If you think of it, a lifetime warranty may not be a good thing as some people keep cards for quite a while, not everybody upgrades to every new thing that comes out.
I doubt this is because of Fermi.... BFG already was having troubles with GTX2xx... and I can't say they were expensive either. They usually seemed to be 10-20% cheaper than EVGA and same price as Asus or Zotac. Plus almost ALL of their cards came factory overclocked!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Looks like BFG will be gone for good [H]ard|OCP - BFG Tech Down for the Count
Hmmm, disturbing news to say the least. Their PSU's seemed to be all that is left that was selling....