Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn that's too bad! I've owned only several nVidia cards so far and most of them were BFG products - flawless.

320MB BFG 8800GTS
256MB MSI 8600GT
256MB BFG 8400GS
2GB BFG GTX285 OCX
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old May 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
It is a lost but not that big. If GPU's were car manufacturers we wouldn't have the big 3 but the big 8. Now it is just the big 6.
So I take it, you "upgrade" your car every time a new one comes out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, that's it for BFG. They're not going to be able to hang on by just selling PSUs and boutique PCs; they just don't have the market presence in either of those segments. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an announcement from them in the next few months saying that they're shutting down for good. A damn shame too. I'd rather see EVGA going out of business than BFG.
Well said man! And +1 for the EVGA comment.

Good bye BFG.

We are going to see a lot of BFG owners ditching there cards soon!
Old May 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
F@H

for newer cards maybe, but for older cards ive never had one issue with rma.

gtx 200 series wise, probably forget about it.(rerepeating :p )
Old May 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, that's it for BFG. They're not going to be able to hang on by just selling PSUs and boutique PCs; they just don't have the market presence in either of those segments. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an announcement from them in the next few months saying that they're shutting down for good. A damn shame too. I'd rather see EVGA going out of business than BFG.
EVGA's tech support is better than BFG's and BFG has 10 extra days to do the "step-up" or whatever bfg calls it, EVGA overall wins but BFG is a good company EVGA has less competition now though, now all i know is EVGA, PNY, MSI, Sparkle, Palit, Galaxy, Zotac and Asus i think i named all the graphics card manufacturers. EVGA is the top i think out of most of em, i love MSI boards tho, their K9N2 sli platinum is something i would keep for a long time after its worn out im going over to EVGA and either Corsair or BFG power supply
Old May 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
So I take it, you "upgrade" your car every time a new one comes out?
Huh? I fail to see the relevance.

All I was saying is like Sky said there are plenty of other manufactures so it isn't that big of a loss like some people are saying.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Huh? I fail to see the relevance.

All I was saying is like Sky said there are plenty of other manufactures so it isn't that big of a loss like some people are saying.
Well what I am getting at is some hardware enthusiast change there hardware faster than a hooker with there panties. We need competition, more competition = lower prices, even if they are MIRs. Last time I check BFG usually have lower prices (thanks to MIRs) compared to other vendors and comes with lifetime warranty. With enthusiast's enthusiasm to try different hardware its great to have an extra choice.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Well what I am getting at is some hardware enthusiast change there hardware faster than a hooker with there panties. We need competition, more competition = lower prices, even if they are MIRs. Last time I check BFG usually have lower prices (thanks to MIRs) compared to other vendors and comes with lifetime warranty. With enthusiast's enthusiasm to try different hardware its great to have an extra choice.
LOL i dont know why i went into laugh mode from reading what ur 1st sentence. what the is up with the hookers and panties? LOL!!!!

yea i forgot about more competition lower prices but EVGA keeps their prices low im super glad i went for the 9800GTX+ EVGA for 140$ instead of the PNY 9800GTX+ 199$ CAN im happy cuz now im getting my GTX 470 shipped in by the end of this week by step-up.

Yes PNY's card was better by a bit but the price was high.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Any time we lose competition in a market we lose.

How does Zotac and PNY's warranties/service stack up to BFGs? I know that EVGA is good, and I would like to see them stay that way.
I know that PNY has a lifetime warranty on their cards, but altering your card will void the warranty. I'm not sure about zotac. I was reading up on the lesser brands' warranties and one of the brands just jumped to lifetime warranty and allows you alter your card. I think it was Zotac.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 18, 2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

I think BFG cards were at a good competitive price. It was just the ones in the big box stores that were expensive. It seemed that there were always BFG cards in Futureshop, Staples and Best Buy. But, those stores always had video cards at inflated prices no matter what they were.

I guess Palit and Zotac benefit from one less Nvidia 'branding' card. They seem more available at local stores these days.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I know that PNY has a lifetime warranty on their cards, but altering your card will void the warranty. I'm not sure about zotac. I was reading up on the lesser brands' warranties and one of the brands just jumped to lifetime warranty and allows you alter your card. I think it was Zotac.
XFX is the only nVidia partner with a lifetime warranty that remains valid if you use aftermarket cooling with the card. All other partners void the warranty as soon as anything is done to the card, including EVGA.