Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good move AMD.

Honestly; their current 6 cores are so god damned cheap I don't know why anyone would complain.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Luck of the draw or not, unlocking feature is a good selling point for the mobo manufacturers. Look at the current 890 boards and almost all of them have the unlocking feature. It is obvious that the 720BE and 550BE helped AMD get back its lost market share from the past.

Old May 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Talking New Builds

Have we convinced you yet? Can someone reach out a give him a light tap on the noggin.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Luck of the draw or not, unlocking feature is a good selling point for the mobo manufacturers. Look at the current 890 boards and almost all of them have the unlocking feature. It is obvious that the 720BE and 550BE helped AMD get back its lost market share from the past.
LUCK of the draw is NOT a sustainable form of business. What you're essentially saying is that AMD should be able, so long as they turn a blind eye to allow motherboard manufacturers to exploit their products technical shortcomings (in that the cores are technically, for one reason or another deemed malfunctioning hence being turned OFF). AMD Cannot condone it; whether it helped them get back on their feet or not dosn't matter. It's just plain not good business to allow it to continue.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What are they going to do with the defective cores then?

I understand what you guys are saying, but since AMD started selling unlockable processors, AMD really should continue to do that. No they shouldn't bin perfectly good processors as quad cores when they could be sold as hex cores. I believe it's just a matter of time before they sell these unlockable Phenom II, even if it's for a limited time.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A TINY glimpse of hope bought to you by FUDzilla!

Fudzilla - AMD Phenom II X4 960T not cancelled

But from my personal point of view, there will be quad core Thubans, but unlock rate would be probably lower compared to the X2 550 series. Right now AMD wants those X4 955, X4 965 gone before they release the quad Thubans.

I see no problem with people wanting to buy AMD products and want to unlock, its there choice to make and there money! Testing your luck once in a while is fun. But your in for a BIG disappointment if you expect a X6 upon purchasing a 960T. Just buy what you need and if it unlocks its a bonus

And what about this LUCK OF DRAW? Isn't it the same as wanting a low VID CPU from intel? Or have you guys forgotten the C0 and D0 hunt just a year ago? Getting a D0 would be like F Yea and C0 was like SHIT!
Old May 13, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the way i look at unlocking cores is like finding a toy in my cereal box that i didn't know was there (BONUS). pure luck buy the best chip that fits your budget then if you get more for free great. makes sense too me
Old May 13, 2010, 10:08 PM
Banned
F@H

well, if the quad thuban is the same price as the other one, wether it unlocks or not id jump on it :)