Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2010, 11:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

None of my drives are ever pushed over 60% full so that is not the case and I don't constantly write to them either. My OS drive and my games drive have had corrupt data on many different occasions, not just the games drive. I am running windows 7 and I have used ever recommended procedure for using SSDs (disabling indexing & defrag, moving page file to HDD, using only MS chipset drivers, etc.). My power is clean (UPS between the Corsair HX620 and my mains) and I am using high quality sata cables. I have had issues on three different motherboards as well (so it is not a chipset issue). I know I am in the minority but I find they are just to delicate to trust with critical use/data. As I said, the only SSD I have that hasn't had issue was the one in my HTPC that is by it's self and is only used to boot into windows 7 (so the page file and My documents, temps files are all on the SSD as well). Hell, I don't even run benchmarks anymore since I am worried I will get data corruption.

Oh, I have tried Freespace cleaner/FF as well. I stopped using it since I am scared to push my SSDs at this point.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old May 6, 2010, 11:20 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
They dont damage the drives per say. What they do is write FF to all free cells (whether they are degraded or not). This obviously uses up a cell life in doing so across many more cells then a TRIM does. It is more harsh and less precise then TRIM, because TRIM just cleans the cells that NEED it (by basically writing FF to all the degraded and no longer used cells). What you are doing is basically a big hammer version of ITGC...and is even harder on the cells then the typical controller level ITGC. Basically while it is called "Tony Trim" its more like Tony ITGC. As the first part consildates data (thus using writes) and then the FSC /w FF option does even more writes.

In a nutshell you are writing and then rewriting to cells every time you do that 1-2 punch and using up more cells in the process. It is all you can do where you run raid....but this is one of the reasons I dont like raid ing SSDs and hardly recommend it to anyone.
Basically on avg for all ssds from less harsh to most (with trim being the best, lowest cell usage solution):
TRIM > ITGC > FreeSpace cleaner > Tony TRIM. (though the dif between T Trim and FSC is small, neither are really a good idea on modern SSDs unless you have no other choice).
After this insight from here I decided to break my Raid-0 so Trim can work properly. I'll use the other drive for a book end

Thanks

CHEERS
Old May 6, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I have several SSD's in the house and non of them have failed. All have been running at full speed. My dad even has his business computer all on just a SSD. If you are worried about loosing info it is called a back-up. Everyone should have one and if you are REALLY concerned then there are off site back-ups like Carbonite. I love Carbonite.

Anyways there must be something else wrong.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 6, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSD Myths and Legends - "write endurance" article in STORAGE search .com
love all my ssd's and i have only had to RMA 1 in the whole time i have been buying them, maybe i am lucky but i don't think so. Have purchased over 50 as of last week for clients .
Old May 6, 2010, 07:38 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
SSD Myths and Legends - "write endurance" article in STORAGE search .com
love all my ssd's and i have only had to RMA 1 in the whole time i have been buying them, maybe i am lucky but i don't think so. Have purchased over 50 as of last week for clients .
It's too bad that Trim is not supported in Raid...so I've opted out of Raid. Not sure what to do with it now...maybe install Ubuntu Linux.

CHEERS
Old May 6, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i know but i pull it apart every few months and just wiper it up have never be able to feel a slow down at all.
Old May 6, 2010, 08:43 PM

My System Specs

Almost all deaths I've seen including mine have been from controller deaths. Not from the NAND dying. So we will see how long they actually last.
Old May 7, 2010, 03:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Almost all deaths I've seen including mine have been from controller deaths. Not from the NAND dying. So we will see how long they actually last.
I totally agree with this statement. One of my SSDs that I RMAed was caused by the firmware becoming randomly corrupt. This was an SSD that I had never flashed and there were no flashing tools available so it wasn't something I did either.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old May 7, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup me too if there problem's it's normally faulty product. IMHO
Old May 7, 2010, 04:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree that it usually is the controller (e.g. like with HDDs, dirty power nukes the controller), but I think that some care and feeding is still needed for the NAND. IMHO all the estimates Ive seen have been either extremely pessimistic (no free space) or happy happy joy joy (100% free space) ones on their lifespan. I know on my quick n dirty estimates say my drives (based on avg cell usage and 10K...wish ALL companies would allow that an not just Indilinx) says my MLC's will last about 20 years. BUT I always leave lots of room for wear leveling. This is actually one area where I LIKE how OCZ and now SandForce do things. IMHO Over-provisioning should be standard on ALL SSDs. That way you could fill them to 100% capacity and STILL have some room for wear-leveling AND cells for reallocation as older ones come up to their max usage. I prefer setting aside more then 4,8 or 6gb BUT something is better then nothing for peeps who DONT know to not over fill the drives. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr