Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 08:07 AM
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 366

My System Specs

Default

Definitly, IDE and floppy should die just like PCI ! And it would be cool to have more power plug on all motherboards so you could plug molex fans right on it and control it with softwares like speedfan. (maybe some optionnal molex's or 1 more 8pins)
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 09:10 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

love giga for the old connectors still there ;)

but..single slot 260's? how many of you actually saw any for sale up here? probably a tad hot running too...would make excellent physics cards tough
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 366

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
love giga for the old connectors still there ;)

but..single slot 260's? how many of you actually saw any for sale up here? probably a tad hot running too...would make excellent physics cards tough
Galaxy is more in the asian market IIRC. maybe europe too. remember of dead things posting it on NCIX's forums.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

The single-slot GTX260 was only available for a short while and hasn't been around for ages. I don't think I've ever heard of one in the wild either.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,048

My System Specs

Default

7 Single SLot GT240's would turn this into a very power conservative Massive Folding Box in comparision to what I have right now.

I Stand by that.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
7 Single SLot GT240's would turn this into a very power conservative Massive Folding Box in comparision to what I have right now.

I Stand by that.

ST
Two i7 systems would use less power and produce more points.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2010, 06:30 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

yes, but i ncase theres issues on one side you better have your hiny covered on the other.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,048

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Two i7 systems would use less power and produce more points.
And 3 i7 Systems would make even more points.
You missed the point of what I was saying Zero.

Single Solution board with those GPU's would outweigh the farm I currently Have.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
And 3 i7 Systems would make even more points.
You missed the point of what I was saying Zero.

Single Solution board with those GPU's would outweigh the farm I currently Have.

ST
No, you missed the point of what I was saying. These boards aren't going to come cheap, and you could most likely put together a pair of i7 rigs for the same amount of money or less than your suggested GT 240 box, while producing more points and consuming less power. There are better options in terms of both PPD/$ and PPD/W than what you are proposing.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old April 15, 2010, 09:43 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,048

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, you missed the point of what I was saying. These boards aren't going to come cheap, and you could most likely put together a pair of i7 rigs for the same amount of money or less than your suggested GT 240 box, while producing more points and consuming less power. There are better options in terms of both PPD/$ and PPD/W than what you are proposing.

I'm Assuming you missed the part where I said "The Farm I Currently Have".

Yes Two Simple i7 Systems OC'd would do it.
More than Likely.

I was comparing to my current setups.
You missed that.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gigabyte x58a-ud3r madmax2 CPU's and Motherboards 2 February 23, 2010 03:06 PM
PCI Express 2.0 vs x16 Mulder Video Cards 13 July 23, 2009 06:54 PM
Does the 9400 GT 1024MB PCI Express 2.0 work on PCI Express x16 slot? aleo Video Cards 9 June 8, 2009 05:47 PM
TV card looks wrong in PCI express x16 slot cappaj1 Video Cards 4 June 4, 2009 06:34 PM
PCI-E X16 and X1 question Toronto122 Troubleshooting 7 April 2, 2009 07:37 AM