Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default HP Makes 'Memristors' a Reality!

Popular Science has reported HP as having brought the theoretical 'memristor' in to the land of reality! It's almost scary where this technology could tech us over the next 5 - 10 years...

Hewlett-Packard Unveils Real-World Memristor, Chip of the Future | Popular Science
Old April 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That is WILD!! When starting the article it made me think how close we are to seeing the human brain replicated and there it was at the bottom..
Can't wait to see my technology (and mind..??) get out dated even faster, YESS, lol
Old April 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
Banned
F@H

lets see...x multiple power, x multiple drop in power consumption of the based cpu/gpu/etc..nice
Old April 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I look forward to read more about memristors and to see the impact on technology they'll have in the future.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Very cool. I would like to see this in the real world, but there are many obstacles, not all of them science.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2010, 10:43 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I just spent the last hour reading about Memristors including some info from HPs own announcement here: Memristor found: HP Labs proves fourth integrated circuit element

All I can is... this is the future. A device that is a CPU, Ram and Hard drive all at once, who's task can change easily and quickly. To put it in perspective: It has the potential to be an instant-on system, which can perform calculations and store results on itself (or over-writing itself if you prefer). And although I don't see that as replacing CPUs and silicon anytime soon, I can see it supplimenting the power of future CPUs greatly. Boot times? Gone. Power out after a thunderstorm? Who cares!
Old April 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Another great article explaining it better: Technology News: Chips: HP's Memristor Tinkering Promises Big Things for Small Devices