Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WD VelociRaptor 600GB SATA 6Gbps Hard Drive Review - The VelociRaptor Doubles In Capacity - Legit Reviews

Skimming the review, all I can say is... Niceeee. Very nice! I'll take this over a SSD anyday.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
@oversized rooster what are you doing to your raid0 setup because i have been running the same basic ssd's 2 different sets a s592's and falcon 1's in raid and i have never seen reads that low and i have used all my ssd even my warp v2 which i don't have anymore and they won't go that low. which i have used to do transencoding to and from.
my OS will never come off of a hdd again always ssd.
I am doing a lot of programming, some gaming and the normal amount of office applications. I don't run torrents or anything on my SSDs yet they degrade horribly.

Both of them have the latest garbage collection firmware from OCZ but it's either not working properly or I'm using them very heavily.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed at the 130MB/s transfer speed I'm getting at the moment. I poured in about $500 into this RAID0 setup. Heck, I'll buy dual 600GB VRaptors and I'll have CONSISTENT transfer rates of around 300MB/s plus 1.2TB of space.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 6, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lack of density makes SSD's really not my cup of tea. RAID is also not even remotely on my plate as that is just not reliable enough. I'm sticking to magnetic drives for now until they get 300GB+ SSDs for under $300. Don't see that happening for a long long time.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
However read and write speeds aren't even that important. What contributes the most to overall system "feel" is the access times. The VRaptor will offer access times which NO Black drive can come close to.

THIS. Why is everyone mentioning read and writes, it's always been about access time since the first raptor even came out!
Old April 6, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@ oversized that sucks man i mean i am going to switch to my s592's some time this week and that means

that my ssd's will be full and heavily written to and i still won't be able to get anything below 250mb's i think i

would be looking for an rma if my ssd's worked that bad i guess i wopuld be soured by that too, it's wierd no

matter what i have done too them i have not slowed many of my ssd's at all very happy with all of the one's

own/ed adn even the few intel and torqx i have bought for clients have all been just great no was banging on

my door yet ( he he as i cross my fingers lol )
Old April 6, 2010, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Not something I'd buy but a 600GB for that price with that kind of performance is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
I'dd like to see WD jump on the SSD ship... or is it done already?
Yep, their consumer level SiliconEdge Blue and enterprise level SiliconDrive N1x. Reviews online are so so. Nothing spectacular.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

No performance issues so far with my Vertex drives and Intel Gen2 I have had for months. I won't be going back to hard drives if my current experiences continue as my laptop screams now, I have plenty of space still on all rigs using SSDs. No raid yet, until drivers mature.

For me, its SSDs that support Trim, Win7, no raid, and a WD Black for storage. Works great so far.

For client builds, I still stick to WD Blacks for the most part though as I won't trust non techies to use the right driver needed for Trim. At that price, I don't see me using Velociraptors, so this release is 'meh' unless the price drops.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I imagine they are going to price it more appropriate if they seriously want to compete against SSD but as with all hardware only time will tell if it will put up a fighting chance or go the way of the hd-dvd and laser disc.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:55 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
@oversized rooster what are you doing to your raid0 setup because i have been running the same basic ssd's 2 different sets a s592's and falcon 1's in raid and i have never seen reads that low and i have used all my ssd even my warp v2 which i don't have anymore and they won't go that low. which i have used to do transencoding to and from.
my OS will never come off of a hdd again always ssd.
I agree w/ this. If you are seeing that kind of degradation then something is seriously wrong w/ those SSDs. Are you running FW 1.5? The ITGC should take care of all degradation.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's another review.

Western Digital's New VelociRaptor VR200M: 10K RPM at 450GB and 600GB - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

@chris. Don't you have to do all sorts of stuff when using SSDs in order to keep it performing at a high level?