Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MSRP for the 600GB is 329$ USD and the 450GB is 299$ USD.

techPowerUp! News :: WD Launches Newest VelociRaptor, The Fastest SATA Hard Drive With Twice the Capacity

For that price, I would get a 2TB Caviar Black if I want bang for buck performance or a 120GB SSD if I want pure performance.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think this is a complete waste. for performance it's ssd period and storage if need to be fast then just use blacks's. and by the time the new ssd start bring the price down this will be left in the dark.
less maintenance hdd's need to be defraged where ssd you do nothing so what do you mean hdd's take way more work?.
edit at those prices they can keep them what a bad idea
Old April 6, 2010, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I think this is a complete waste. for performance it's ssd period and storage if need to be fast then just use blacks's. and by the time the new ssd start bring the price down this will be left in the dark.
less maintenance hdd's need to be defraged where ssd you do nothing so what do you mean hdd's take way more work?.
edit at those prices they can keep them what a bad idea
SSD's you have to do things to if you want Longevity. TRIM, Tony Trim etc etc... same as an HDD but at least you don't have to worry about maintaince software being supported or not.
What remains to be seen with Any SSD is just how long it lives.

Mind you at those prices it will be hard to compete in the SSD market place. Mind you again it remains to be seen till they are actually on retail shelves, and tested by reviewers out there if they are worth it or not.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 6, 2010, 12:34 PM
mrScott

another fail product
Old April 6, 2010, 12:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm curious to see how they'll compete with the Samsung Spinpoint F3s. They're reportedly faster than current Velociraptors in sustained data transfers. But unless they take a huge price drop, I seriously doubt they'll contend with either SSDs or Blacks and Spinpoints.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

even an ssd with out things to help Longevity is gonna live way longer then any hdd ( unless it's faulty ) and know a days all you have to do is install your os and go the rest is what us computer enthusiast do for speed in benchmarks. that's all.
and if you looking into longevity almost every single space missions to the planets used/uses ssd yes they maybe slc but most early test with mlc is there gonna last way to long for most.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
What 10% faster than a WD Black? Not worth it IMO. Anything over $100 better have at least 1Tb of storage or be an SSD.
The proposed VRaptor designs are much faster than 10% as compared to a WD Black drive (except the 2TB version).

However read and write speeds aren't even that important. What contributes the most to overall system "feel" is the access times. The VRaptor will offer access times which NO Black drive can come close to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I'll take a 600GB Raptor over a 30GB SSD anyday. Less maintaince too.
I agree with you. At the moment I have dual 60GB OCZ Vertex drives in RAID0. They're obviously extremely fast however the performance gets severely degraded very quickly. I've performed several ATTO benchmarks and my RAID array doesn't read any faster than 130MB/s at the moment. When they're freshly "flashed" I can do about 400-420MB/s.

Plus I cannot have all the software that I want installed because the 120GB combined size is not enough!

I'd love to go back to owning a VRaptor if the price is right. At least I'll know that it will perform 99% equally each and every day. This whole SSD performance loss stuff is ridiculous. I might sell off my SSDs this summer.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@oversized rooster what are you doing to your raid0 setup because i have been running the same basic ssd's 2 different sets a s592's and falcon 1's in raid and i have never seen reads that low and i have used all my ssd even my warp v2 which i don't have anymore and they won't go that low. which i have used to do transencoding to and from.
my OS will never come off of a hdd again always ssd.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
even an ssd with out things to help Longevity is gonna live way longer then any hdd ( unless it's faulty ) and know a days all you have to do is install your os and go the rest is what us computer enthusiast do for speed in benchmarks. that's all.
and if you looking into longevity almost every single space missions to the planets used/uses ssd yes they maybe slc but most early test with mlc is there gonna last way to long for most.
That is yet to be proven in my eyes at least. Don't get me wrong I do agree that SSD is the future in technology once its perfected. It is still new, and its longevity is always going to be in question until it is refined like HDD's are.

Time will tell on this factor. And HDD unless faulty will last a very very long time to.
As my Fujitsu 6.4GB or my Deskstar 80GB or my WD 74GB Raptor can testify too.

So While I Do agree with most of what you say Gingerbee, I will always wait and see how tech stands up to more than just 1-2 years of mainstream use.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. trouble is with the ssd's(yes, overpriced but still) not sure theyll make a killing. maybe, perhaps maybe, in the pro field?