Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Next Gen NVIDIA ION-2 Accelerates IE9

NVIDIA launched a video demo of an upcoming ION-2 netbook versus the traditional Atom netbooks running integrated graphics, showcasing just how well it performs on IE9 The company blogged yesterday about how ION-2 as featured in the Asus EeePC 1201PN - expected in April - will revolutionize simple tasks, like browsing the web. The video included pi... [ Read full article ]
Old April 1, 2010, 11:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Chrome needs this since I refuse to use IE. ;)
Old April 1, 2010, 11:15 AM
MVP

So IE9 is still that slow that they now require hardware acceleration in order to compete with Chrome and others?
Old April 2, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This video is one of the most biased I've eevr seen...they compare a new EEE PC with a minimum Atom 450 to a old HP netbook with a first gen Atom...And the older one run 7 starter compare to the newest running XP...Seriously Nvidia if you want to show us thatyou new ION is that good do it right. I am not bashing the product I am sure it's gonna be as nice as ION 1 but the methodologies that is not what it should be...Now on a more positive note. I am looking to buy a netbook soon and if ION 2 is coming I think I should wait it's a promising piece of tech that could be nice and maybe...play diablo on a netbook:P probably no:( still addict to this game.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 2, 2010, 08:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Netbooks simply aren't worth it. You could get a small laptop (around 12-13") instead which will allow you to play some games and of course run all your applications. The argument about superior battery life is also false. If you compare against HP garbage laptops from Future Shop, sure a netbook might live longer.

My own Lenovo T500 does up to 8 hours on its battery as long as you're running productivity software. And I don't have to put up with a tiny keyboard, tiny screen and an ugly design.

Anyway...about the ION 2 - this will fail to even match existing Atom based setups. Why is nVidia at all bothering? I am not surprised at all at their usual deceptive marketing. You cannot expect anything less from a company which has rebarnded their products for the past half decade and has just launched a card which matches the competition's 6 month old design with about 100W extra usage.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 2, 2010, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I totally agree with you for the ION thing the fact I am looking at a small laptop is because a bigger then 10 inch more fit into my camera bag Otherwise I TOTALLY agree with you rosster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Netbooks simply aren't worth it. You could get a small laptop (around 12-13") instead which will allow you to play some games and of course run all your applications. The argument about superior battery life is also false. If you compare against HP garbage laptops from Future Shop, sure a netbook might live longer.

My own Lenovo T500 does up to 8 hours on its battery as long as you're running productivity software. And I don't have to put up with a tiny keyboard, tiny screen and an ugly design.

Anyway...about the ION 2 - this will fail to even match existing Atom based setups. Why is nVidia at all bothering? I am not surprised at all at their usual deceptive marketing. You cannot expect anything less from a company which has rebarnded their products for the past half decade and has just launched a card which matches the competition's 6 month old design with about 100W extra usage.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 4, 2010, 10:40 AM
Rookie

In total agreement as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post