Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD Expands DirectX 11 Gaming with ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Graphics

Harnessing the world?s most powerful graphics processor, AMD today introduced the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition graphics card. Equipped with 2GB of GDDR5 memory, the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 is the first graphics card capable of rendering in excess of 1 billion pixels per second in today?s titles, unleashing PC game environments of u... [ Read full article ]
Old March 31, 2010, 11:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm i wonder when and how much this thing is going to go for
Old March 31, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder how much the extra gb of memory will affect performance.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's an article on anand which compares the single monitor performance between the 1GB and 2GB versions. There's no noticeable increase in the tests they posted.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:00 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
There's an article on anand which compares the single monitor performance between the 1GB and 2GB versions. There's no noticeable increase in the tests they posted.
Of course not.... what difference would an extra Gb make on a single screen unless its bigger than a 30'' panel? lol... Now let's see those same benchmarks done on my 5600x1200

From Anand's article:
"We ran through our standard GPU test suite (the same suite from the GTX 480 review) with our Eyefinity 6 Edition card and found that there's no performance advantage to having a 2GB frame buffer at 2560 x 1600 or below."

Full comparison:AMD's Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

They do mention that minimum framerates were increased in one game (perhaps more?) but don't show that actual numbers. I'll wait till a HwC review of a 2Gb card.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed, I'd like to see the difference in framerates in a 3x1 configuration.

And what they said was that while it increased some minimum FPS rates, it wasn't enough to affect their average rates. They don't post minimums like SKYMTL.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:23 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Agreed, I'd like to see the difference in framerates in a 3x1 configuration.

And what they said was that while it increased some minimum FPS rates, it wasn't enough to affect their average rates. They don't post minimums like SKYMTL.
From my perspective, minimum framerates are MORE important than average ones. Who the heck cares if a game can pull 100fps average if it chugs down to 20 fps and jumpy at times? Meta likes smooth framerates which = at least 30-40 minimum fps.
Old March 31, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
From my perspective, minimum framerates are MORE important than average ones. Who the heck cares if a game can pull 100fps average if it chugs down to 20 fps and jumpy at times? Meta likes smooth framerates which = at least 30-40 minimum fps.
Agreed the worst is when you get 100fps and then down to single digits just for a split second.

This card is a very niche card. If for some reason you have 6 monitors and only 1 pcie slot and the rest are full with raid cards or something and you can't have a second card.

I still don't think 6 monitor gaming is that great as you are very limited to what games you can play. 3 monitors is about the max you would want unless you could do full 360 of monitors even though you don't have eyes on the back of your head :p

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 3, 2010, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

Default triple monitors

ATI Radeon Eyefinity6 2GB Video Card at 5760 x 1200 Introduction :: TweakTown

Decent review here, I'am thinking of getting the 5970 after seeing this, but i will wait for the 4gig monster from XFX.
Old April 3, 2010, 03:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The marketing machine is in full swing I see.

What many people forget to think about is that the 5870 is completely underpowered to properly drive 6 monitors in full screen gaming.

In fact, from personal experience I can tell you that a 5870 is too weak to even play a game on dual 22" monitors at max settings. In some games you can break 30FPS but in some others, you're forced to reduce the graphics quality (i.e. GTA4, FSX).

What do you think would happen if you tried to game on SIX monitors? You'd need to completely turn off AA and AF and set texture quality to minimum.

You'd probably need dual 5970 cards to come close to running a game smoothly across 6 monitors with max or at least relatively high settings.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit