Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 10:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's what happens when a product like Fermi is launched. It will all calm down.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It never ceases to amaze me how a PCB with a couple chips and capacitors stuck onto it can rile people up so much.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You can't ban everyone that does not agree with you. I agree that some posts in this thread are borderline trolling, they are not that bad and some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

I've never in my life ever seen another computer peripheral that causes so much blatent anger. In the end, it does not matte to most because their minds are made up long before the purchase anything. All I am saying is that both sides need a drink or something because many are making this mole hill into Mt. Everest.
The problem is there is a BIG difference between difference of opinions and trolling and that guys is obviously on the trolling side.
Like I said, it would be nice if threads about Fermi were discussed mostly by people that actually have an interest on them but usually is the people that have no intention of ever buying an Nvidia card the ones posting and you know that.
I couldn't care less for brands...I own Nvidia on my main rig because it is the only way I have to get REAL 3d gaming. I have ATI for my htpc and for my wife's pc as at the time I bought them they offered what I needed for the price I wanted...so red or green means nothing to me that is why it just dont compute with me all this red or green only kind of mentality.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
Trial Member

Default Pre-orders = meh

Pre-order of any new product do not mean really anything to the success of that product. First adopters will always be there to buy the last and greatest item from which ever company they like.
The issue here is that retailers will not have the inventor to full the demand, so the numbers on paper do not equal the products on the shelves and does not equal real world profits.
I've done a quick google search on prices and the different are huge.

ZipZoomFly = EVAG GTX 480 SuperClock = $650
Provantage = PNY GTX 480 = $485

Newegg = SAPPHIRE 5870 = 390
Provantage = SAPPHIRE 5870 OverClocked = 670

I currently run a HIS IceQ 4670 with 1GB, which cost me $140 over 1-1/2 ago from Newegg. I upgraded my home server to AMD Fusion setup and just the parts got for my many rig this week to do the same. Not because its better than nvidia or intel but because its cheaper, stable and performs at the level I need it too.
I an skipping this series of card, wait for a radeon 67xx with 2GB at around $150 to 170.

Last edited by smilingman; March 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Trust me, that Acid guy hasn't said anything remotely worth banning - do a search for my posts or any of the other resident jerk faces around here :P These HWC mods and the rest of the community put up with a lot. Sadly I've always had a hard time censoring myself, I actually don't post nearly as often as I should cause I get all pissed off and want to scream at people! hahaha

On topic though. The Fermi cards -are- great cards. The whole "it's hot/late to the game/yadda yadda" argument is JUST fuel for peoples competitive fire. Honestly; just on these forums alone.. if you've been here for long enough you'd know it but A LOT of the people dissing fermi with the "fanboy" comments are people who complained about ATI two years ago.

There are firm believers in both camps; but if you go do a forum search on some people on many forums on the internet you'll notice that a lot of the time - the most argumentative people in threads such as this tend to be wagon jumpers... now i'm not pointing to people specifically because honestly it dosn't matter but my point is that we ALL (myself included) should try not to get wrapped up in arguments with some of the more "hardcore" of the communites because most of the time those are people that just like to argue and or play devils advocate.

It's one of the reasons I've come to respect Sky and this website so much (and all the reviewers/staff). Sky is a man that understands what his word is worth and stands by it; he's a no bullshit straight forward dude and he dosn't **** around. Every post he makes is clear and concise, accurate and as honest as he can make it.

Sometime's I wonder where the forums would be if WE (ME INCLUDED) could get into conversations more deeply.

You know when you're at a job and you have a boss that just screams and yells at you over everything? When people don't have hard facts, or a strong understanding of how to handle a situation; they get frustrated and call names and bring up shit that dosn't have any impact on the issue at hand. You'll notice the people who are truly educated in Fermi and all the GPU architectures here are ALWAYS the most calm and collected about the arguments and the people who know jack shit and are spouting brand loyalty; while they may try and pretend - really know dick squat all.

It's fun watching someone argue with Sky and use links from all over the internet; from sources they have NO WAY to personally verify, and Sky just says "well here's a giant catalogue of my own research to prove you wrong" and they still try and fight it.

Anyways; my point is that I think this whole fermi thing brings out the worst in all of us.. and if i'm trying my hardest to post constructively; well you guys can do it too because I'm one nutcase of a hothead hahaha

Back on topic:

It's nice to see Fermi is selling; I'm a huge Nvidia fan, and probably always will be. I used to buy up ATI like crazy back in the day.. they were Canadian and it was a great thing to do..but then they sucked for years and years and I found I liked Nvidia more.. they have not let me down and when they do I'll consider an ATI card. Also Nvidia has EVGA; I hope for m own brand pride they don't ever vendor ATI cards but hey, it could happen...

Also: EAT MY WALL OF TEXT SUCKERS :P haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingman View Post
Pre-order of any new product do not mean really anything to the success of that product. First adopters will always be there to buy the last and greatest item from which ever company they like.
The issue here is that retailers will not have the inventor to full the demand, so the numbers on paper do not equal the products on the shelves and does not equal real world profits.
I've done a quick google search on prices and the different are huge.

ZipZoomFly = EVAG GTX 480 SuperClock = $650
Provantage = PNY GTX 480 = $485

Newegg = SAPPHIRE 5870 = 390
Provantage = SAPPHIRE 5870 OverClocked = 670

I currently run a HIS IceQ 4670 with 1GB, which cost me $140 over 1-1/2 ago from Newegg. I upgraded my home server to AMD Fusion setup and just the parts got for my many rig this week to do the same. Not because its better than nvidia or intel but because its cheaper, stable and performs at the level I need it too.
I an skipping this series of card, wait for a radeon 67xx with 2GB at around $150 to 170.
You get a gld star for staying on topic. Congrats.

I do agree with you since many of the GTX 400 series prices are totally out to lunch but what we are seeing is something very simple. Basically, it comes down to supply and demand. Many retailers will raise prices on popular products which are in sort supply in order to control order quantities. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Yes, some want to gouge but it is still good to see quite a few sticking to the MSRP.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How does a company like EVGA handle the supply between themselves and their vendors like NCIX etc?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:52 AM

Some are direct and others are through distributors.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm.. I thought they were all distributor based.. Good to know..

Although I have to say the GTX 470 did get me interested too, but I vowed to myself not to upgrade, I have a 4870 which does work well.. I really can't imagine how the launch prices have changed in the last couple years, when I bought my 8800GTX Superclocked, just about a month or less after launch it cost me roughly around $600.. And now you get a brand new card $400 which is a lot better ...

And with these prices, Nvidia surely will pick up a lot of sales, not bashing at all.. but in a way (as was mentioned here), the new Fermi cards do have advantages over the ATI 5800 series cards.. and cheaper too..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old March 31, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCid888* View Post
I think we can all agree that buying any DX11 card is stupid at the moment.....we all know first gen tech is not always that great and its always better to wait until all the bugs are ironed out.
I some what agree and I am not excited for either side but DirectX is like crack for me and I just gotta have the latest lol. It bugs me that I can't use tesselation right now.

As far as first gen though the first nvidia DX10 cards were good. In fact they are still good and can still play every game at desent settings especially if you have more than one.

And I don't think you have said anything here ban worthy. Just try to not use dumb or stupid(I know I should stop using those words :p).

Also we all need to not be as serious this is suppose to be fun not a life or death if you buy what someone thinks is the wrong product.

I hope this doesn't get any worse as I don't want to have to leave another forum like the EVGA forum.

Now back to topic...

I don't think there will be a price war anytime soon. The availability of the 5000 series and 400 series is not going to be good so high demand with low supply means high prices. So the pre-order prices may be the lowest for Fermi as we will get for at least a few months. Just my prediction now.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."