Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 06:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

What bugs me is people keep spreading dumb . Like I said my 275s in SLI get just as hot and noisy. Why is this now a big deal? The 480 is faster then my setup and it's only one hot and noisy card. Anyways as a hobby I find people who bash everything to kinda ruin the forums. I mean if I could swing it I would love to have the fastest single gpu right now. People just have to make themselves feel good about there own purchases or something.

Old March 31, 2010, 06:35 AM
Rookie

What I hate about Fermi threads is that the biggest percentage of posters are ATI users, you know what I mean, which is just stupid.
Nvidia offers a very powerful card, with issues, like any other card, but with a lot of features as well.
You can 3D , real 3D that is, then this is the card to get , also physx, cuda, folding, etc.
So if you dislike Fermi so much, why bother posting here at all? Dont be childish, this are just computer parts not sports teams. I own Nvidia on my main rig because 3d Vision gives the most amazing gaming experience ever and I have been here since the c64 or even ping pong days so it is not easy to impress me.
How about we each enjoy our favorite products without having the silly needs of attacking the ones we do not own?
Old March 31, 2010, 06:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What annoys me is that there a lack of critical thinking. The problem I see with the GTX400s is that it will age fast in many sense of the words. First, the high-voltage, high temps added to leaky silicon gates means that electron migration is much faster. All three feed off the other. Knowing that the silicon already has native defects that pushed nvidia to not turn all SPs on in any card, this means teh card will have a shorter life span.
I truly hope you are not being serious on all that...yeah it will shorten from 20 years to probably 10 right?....good Lord....
Old March 31, 2010, 06:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think it is important to focus upon something important here. Considering the numbers I have been hearing, it is more than obvious these will be VERY popular cards at least in the short term. This could pressure AMD to lower the prices of their cards which would be great for end users IMO.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
What I hate about Fermi threads is that the biggest percentage of posters are ATI users, you know what I mean, which is just stupid.
Nvidia offers a very powerful card, with issues, like any other card, but with a lot of features as well.
You can 3D , real 3D that is, then this is the card to get , also physx, cuda, folding, etc.
So if you dislike Fermi so much, why bother posting here at all? Dont be childish, this are just computer parts not sports teams. I own Nvidia on my main rig because 3d Vision gives the most amazing gaming experience ever and I have been here since the c64 or even ping pong days so it is not easy to impress me.
How about we each enjoy our favorite products without having the silly needs of attacking the ones we do not own?
Because if you look back a month or two, most of the people now defending Fermi were also bashing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think it is important to focus upon something important here. Considering the numbers I have been hearing, it is more than obvious these will be VERY popular cards at least in the short term. This could pressure AMD to lower the prices of their cards which would be great for end users IMO.
I just don't see how or why ATI would even bother. I can't see how they ever expected Nvidia's cards to NOT be in super high demand. Supply is sure to be pitiful at best for the next 3-6 months as well. ATI has the market saturated and is gonna pick up extra sales just because people are not gonna wait. All I see is more MIR for ATI based cards which would suck because I hate rebates. ATI is marketing towards a different buyer than Nvidia and they always have been if you ask me. Neither side is going to lose sales. Nvidia lost money only due to all the problems getting cards on the shelves. There was never any doubt in my mind these cards would sell far faster than they could be build, no matter the numbers.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Maybe you are right. Especially when you consider every retailer I spoke to predicted serious supply issue with the HD 5870 in particular between April and June.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I wish everyone will see this how we do but it seems the majority either sees red or green....so silly if you ask me.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:15 AM
Allstar

Members of HWC forums can be much more mature. Try to behave a bit and be more rational than simply guessing what is dumb/stupid/fanatic or not.

I am happy to see the good sales Nvidia can get. As long as there is a fair competition (compared to ATI's 5000 monopoly earlier), i think we should be happy as customers.

Old March 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
ATI is marketing towards a different buyer than Nvidia and they always have been if you ask me. Neither side is going to lose sales. Nvidia lost money only due to all the problems getting cards on the shelves. There was never any doubt in my mind these cards would sell far faster than they could be build, no matter the numbers.
Good point, but while NVidia owns the vast majority of the market share and has little to fear from ATI (which is evident by the delays in releasing fermi), ATI does need to fight for every inch of the market with their much smaller marketing and R&D budgets. I worry that while they are in a great competitive position right now with the current lineup, they may lose in the next round once this fermi architecture becomes more refined. Pure speculations though, as is most of this thread. I only worry because it is good for the the consumer (ie. me) to have sustained competition in the GPU market.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think we can all agree that buying any DX11 card is stupid at the moment.....we all know first gen tech is not always that great and its always better to wait until all the bugs are ironed out.
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX (MX-2 NB + SB)
2x2GB G.Skill Pi Black @ 900MHz 444-12
PNY "XLR8" 9800GX2 @ 704/2202/1760
Seagate 500GB + XP SP3
22" Acer P223w @ 1680x1050
Modded Lian Li PC-60F
SB Audigy 2 w/ Heatsink