Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Fermi is a disappointment, not a failure. It should have been more since it was 6 months late, but what can we do. They did retake the single GPU crown and that is what matters to a great many people. There is no reason at all for people to buy Fermi if they want the single fastest GPU. Me being an ATI fanboy there was never much thought on these cards other than hoping the pricing would cause competition, but there will be no price wars just yet as ATI is in perfect position to ride out this paper launch until hard parts are actually being delivered.

What I find the most priceless about ALL this arguing is that if you look back at the 8800/HD2900 battles, all the Nvidia guys were smack talking ATI something fierce while the ATI clan was in defensinve mode. It is amazing that even with a faster card, Nvidia people are still being forced to be on the defense while the ATI guys are rightfully able to talk down to them in the Fermi/HD5800 wars.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
These are the dumbest rants ever. I read to much of them. How does this remind of the the 2000 series? The 2000 series was late and still got destryed by the 8800s. Nvidia actually came out with faster cards. "Fan boys" want the fastest single gpu on block. Since when does "best bang for the buck or price/performance" ever fit in with a top of the line product? "I also think their are much better things are there for the money spent on any Fermi." That's awesome good for you.....................
Dumbest rants ever????

If you've been around long enough I'm sure you remember why the 2900XT was so bad...compare that to the Fermi and you'll see what I'm saying is pretty much the truth no matter if you want to accept it or not.

And while I'm at it, I see a lot of people replying to me but no one has anything positive to say about the card their so in love with......is that because it has nothing decent going for it over its main rival, the 5870, or because its not even out yet??

I wonder...

Bottom line?? Its your cash and I'm sure you'll enjoy your GTX4xx's....XFX pulling out for no given reason has me a little worried for nVidia this round though; they sell a lot of cards for the green camp.
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX (MX-2 NB + SB)
2x2GB G.Skill Pi Black @ 900MHz 444-12
PNY "XLR8" 9800GX2 @ 704/2202/1760
Seagate 500GB + XP SP3
22" Acer P223w @ 1680x1050
Modded Lian Li PC-60F
SB Audigy 2 w/ Heatsink

Old March 31, 2010, 05:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Fermi is a disappointment, not a failure. It should have been more since it was 6 months late, but what can we do. They did retake the single GPU crown and that is what matters to a great many people. There is no reason at all for people to buy Fermi if they want the single fastest GPU. Me being an ATI fanboy there was never much thought on these cards other than hoping the pricing would cause competition, but there will be no price wars just yet as ATI is in perfect position to ride out this paper launch until hard parts are actually being delivered.

What I find the most priceless about ALL this arguing is that if you look back at the 8800/HD2900 battles, all the Nvidia guys were smack talking ATI something fierce while the ATI clan was in defensinve mode. It is amazing that even with a faster card, Nvidia people are still being forced to be on the defense while the ATI guys are rightfully able to talk down to them in the Fermi/HD5800 wars.
My exact thoughts to be honest, thanks for summarising it...though I dont just support ATI, so I guess thats a little different.
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX (MX-2 NB + SB)
2x2GB G.Skill Pi Black @ 900MHz 444-12
PNY "XLR8" 9800GX2 @ 704/2202/1760
Seagate 500GB + XP SP3
22" Acer P223w @ 1680x1050
Modded Lian Li PC-60F
SB Audigy 2 w/ Heatsink

Old March 31, 2010, 05:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ladies and gents. Keep it civil.

Some people will buy the cards, others won't. For upgrade purposes from someone going from an older generation NVIDIA card (9800 series for example), this is a great product. We also have to remember that the prices were ALOT lower than originally predicted, especially for the GTX 470.

I don't want us getting into the failure or success of the architecture in this thread simply because it is a non-issue when it comes to actual sales. If you want to debate the finer point of the chip's architecture, there is a thread for that.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Lets also try to keep it civil in here since it would be a shame to see this thread locked on the basis of an arguement on which company current has the better gpu line (and it getting ugly).

Speaking for myself, i was looking forward to the 470 and 480 as a potential upgrade over my SLI GTX260s. Upon reading the reviews and their price points, i couldnt justify this round going for either of them. The fact they run hot is a big turn off to me since well right now i'm still in dorms that like to keep ambient temps higher then they should be so i could be hitting the throttle with these cards more easily then others. Another thing was performance vs cost. The 470 in my mind should have launched cheaper around 325$ CAD and the 480 cheaper as well, the fact that these two in my mind (and games/resolution i play at) aren't worth it over their ATI competitor especially if i can get right now (and most likely sale coming up this week), a brand new ATI 5870 for 400$, thats only 20$ more then a 470 and much more powerful too.

So again, lets try to keep it civil, its great nVidia is getting more preorders as expected, meaning its popular, but once again a popular thing doesnt necessarily mean its the best (look at the states and re-electing Bush in '04 (please no political comments on it))
Old March 31, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post

Not to mention you get eyefinity without needing display port or an expensive hard to find active display port adapter. You also get 3D surround something you can't do with ATI.
Green and red both have advantages, but I dont agree with the 3 lcd part, I mean you do need SLI for 3 LCD support from the green team. And last I looked display port adapter is cheaper and easier to find than any GTX4... series

Altough, one good point for the green team, it seems we will be able to do 3 LCD with the GTX2.. series. That would be great. For me, this is a + on the green side.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 31, 2010, 06:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Knew it would happen... fanboys will still buy FERMI even if you can fry an egg on top of them
Old March 31, 2010, 06:17 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
Knew it would happen... fanboys will still buy FERMI even if you can fry an egg on top of them
Next person that utters the word "fanboys" when it comes to either ATI or NVIDIA gets a temp ban. I've had it.

As for the egg, Legit Reviews proved that you CAN'T fry an egg on the card.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I didn't say fry an egg literally... haha that would've been funny. Just a way to say they are really hot :)
Old March 31, 2010, 06:33 AM
Unregistered

Default Regrets?

What annoys me is that there a lack of critical thinking. The problem I see with the GTX400s is that it will age fast in many sense of the words. First, the high-voltage, high temps added to leaky silicon gates means that electron migration is much faster. All three feed off the other. Knowing that the silicon already has native defects that pushed nvidia to not turn all SPs on in any card, this means teh card will have a shorter life span.

But we also know that nvidia (and ATI) will have their next version or generation of the card at then end of the year. Add to that the fact that the next 28nm process is said to have big problems, which means both companies may very choose to simply refresh their line up on 40nm, you could very well look at a new nvidia lineup this falls. Once nvidia release a cooler-running, higher-clocked and full 512 SPs part, early 480 and 470 adopters willl bite their fingers.

That's why I'm personally waiting for this fall for my next upgrade. (Add to that that both companies are not able to meet demands and prices are currently jacked up, the picture is not rosy.)

But think people, think! It's easy to go with the hype of the launch, but will you regret spending your yearly budget now? If you're the type who spend 2000$ year on, year off, then go ahead. Otherwise, it might be wise to wait and skip this upgrade entirely for now.