Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 01:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Actually, it cools the GPU Core down resulting in cooler Temps overall.....again, if you actually use Precision /vFan Profiles / OSD with your 260 you would notice this.....
Cooler GPU temps. Your room temperature will stay the same whether you run the fan at 20% or 100%, since the same amount of heat is being produced by the card regardless of the fan speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
You don't measure temperatures by C... you measure by W/hr or similar. C is absolute temperature.
W/hr is not a real unit, and temperatures are measured in degrees Celsius (or in Kelvin if you go by SI units). Watts are a measurement of power or heat, which is not the same thing as temperature.
Old April 7, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In any case, you can't compare a 95C GTX480 to a 95C 4850/8800GT and say they both produce the same amount of heat. You measure the heat output in watts.
Old April 7, 2010, 01:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
In any case, you can't compare a 95C GTX480 to a 95C 4850/8800GT and say they both produce the same amount of heat. You measure the heat output in watts.
Pretty sure that's what I said...
Old April 7, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I certainly am not saying that thse Fermi Cards will not run warm...the numbers show they will....but your single 260 is certainly not going to be a heat problem as someone running SLI or Tri Sli 280's......you want to see some some heat?? Now, a few things you stated are entirely incorrect:

They won't run warm, try HOT
Quote:
Once again...do you loop Furmark all day long...? or just play some games, check email and surf HWC? So....you won't be blasing 95c air into your room all day long.

F@H anyone?
Quote:
Perhaps not 20c, but most certainly 15c cooler with the an jacked up to 80%.......we'll see soon enough when some folks start getting thier mitts on these Cards....based on Sky's numbers and my experience with Multi 280's, I would expect to see 85c - 90c range running Furmark with Fan sped at around 80% - 90%......but who the heck plays Furmark?

Heatsh0t said his GTX 260 load temp were 75C, I think its pretty damn close to this chart. My gtx 260 at stock(576mhz) loads at 72C

So you want to turn up the fan speed on your future GTX 480 EH.

I don't think it will help much.

Please read the following.

Credit goes to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review - Temperature Testing - Legit Reviews
Quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Video Card Load Temperature:
We fired up FurMark and ran the stability at 640x480, which was enough to put the GPU at 100% load in order to get the highest load temperature possible. This application also charted the temperature results so you can see how the temperature rises and levels off, which is very nice. The GeForce GTX 480 maxed out at 96C. The fan on the GeForce GTX 480 video card was left on auto during temperature testing and the fan speed is dynamic. This means that it will increase/decrease depending on the GPU temp and GPU load. You can see a slight dip in temperatures at the start of the test as the GPU fan was still spinning up to a higher speed to keep up with all the heat. The card peaked at 96C then the fan speed increase was able to cool the card down and keep the temperature level at around 92C. The CPU Fan peaked at around 88%, which meant the Delta cooling fan was spinning at ~4500RPM. When we hit the space bar to stop the rendering the temperature dropped, but since a 2D application was open the card wouldn't go back to a complete idle state. Since the fan then slowed down again and the temperature started to rise again.
I do not think turning up your fan to 90% will help you much.

So you were saying?

Damn I want to see a GTX 480 with Xtreme Burning Mode on

Last edited by Silvgearx; April 7, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:43 PM
Banned
F@H

out of curiosity, do you think youd have issues with rma if you were to leave furmark on and see what happens with the card at 90+c 24/7? stock everything, fan profile and what not.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think they would cover it. I know some people have reviewed with SLI and even TRI SLI and the temp stayed the same at mid 90's for furmark load.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 8, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I do not think turning up your fan to 90% will help you much.

So you were saying?
So I guess I'm simply "imagining" that my Tri Sli 280's run considerably cooler by utilizing Manual Fan Speed Profiles??....thanks for pointing that out......I never would have known....