Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Seriously. Playing intensive games with my GTX260 55nm requires me to up the fan speed to 75-80% (leaving it auto makes it shoot up to 100% whenever I go over 70 degrees) to keep loads around 75. Loud? Not when I'm gaming with headphones or with speakers. Temperatures supposedly go down to 80s with fan speed at 80%. guru3d's article sums it up well. How loud is loud? How can you tell based on your speaker volume level? Who plays games with their ears 1cm away from their video card?
Yeah, I'm not aware of too many people who play on an open bench with a monitor built into their CPU heatsink

TBH it is not even the card discussion itself that bugs me but the rampant "rumours" and myths.... I have not been into PC hardware that long but I have NEVER seen such exaggerations and half-truths.
Old March 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Default Good move XFX

I've been around since the 386s. Been building all my PCs since then.

I don't recall so much false hype, so much delay, so much dishonesty from a manufacturer and such a fantastic anti-climax paper launch in my life. Not only the 480 is idling at 70c and get to 95c under load with *50db* from the Delta fan, the board itself is so hot, it radiates 78c under load *inside* your casing. Even worse, according to legit reviews ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review - Dual LCD Display Testing - Legit Reviews ) *the 480 STAY AT 90c AT IDLE, 24/7*, with 2 monitors hooked to the card!!! That's crazy. 2 monitors setup are much more common now than even a few years ago. I run 2 myself.

Do I need to mention you need 2 Nvidia card to plug 3 monitors or to do SLI? 2 cards idling at 90c? All day? Every day? And that's with a dust free, brand new card with the heat-sink 100% operational. What happen 6 months later whens the heat-sink is half choked with dust and only operate at 75%, in the middle of the summer? The cards will idle at 100c and shut down at 108c! LMAO.... Your honor, I rest my case!

Now I know why XFX pulled out. Fermi is simply a very bad deal that Nvidia is trying to pass on everybody else. Cudos to XFX for standing up to Nvidia .

Last edited by SugarJ; March 30, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old March 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Default Nvidia pissing on more ppl again ?

I remember a few years ago when I ordered my nvidia 8800GT* from XFX. 'cause at that time, XFX made the best nvidia cards and their warranty was bar-none the best also. And XFX made the very first "fanless" 8600.

wow, I've read around how nvidia has been pissing some (distro's, suppliers,...) here and there, but I didn't think it was all that true. ?
Well, I guess it IS !
For years it was "AMD+NVIDIA=RUN ANY OS YOU WANT !!!" and it still is.

Now, if only AMD/ATI can provide better Linux/*IX drivers, which they are slowly doing...like OpenCL, Stream,....AMD Fusion anyone?
I just hope ATI never forgets the "OTHER" OS's out there either.
The card with the BEST overall "Drivers" will always WIN -even against the BEST Hardware ! - and you better believe it.
Ok, well I was wrestling with the 480GTX versus the 5970.
-finally ;)
This little tidbit of news just made my decision. Nvidia has to wake up and stop pretending that THEY are the Intel of GPU's anymore !!!?

XFX 4-Gig 5970 -ya baby why not.
ok, so how much $$$ is this little mother______ gonna set me back though ?

cheers'
Old March 30, 2010, 10:49 PM
scjet

Default Is it time for the AMD+ATI+NVIDIA gamble ?

Don't think for one second that Intel isn't bigger than ALL 3 of them -'casue Intel IS !!!

I think AMD/ATI should work with NVIDIA, and eventually join up together as one big-assed chipmakers'.
AMD+ATI+NVIDIA = Intel drops their prices !!!
and it is as economically simple as that.

We ALL(as Consumers') can win here.
If you equalize their Market size differences a bit, then you will get good competition and great innovations.

Because if nvidia takes a plunge don't understimate Intel via a FORCED takeover/buyout , picking them up for cheap to rob their Intellectual property.
And of course, if that ever happened, there will be "...much gnashing of teeth..." and your wallets if you like paying $10,000.00 just for an Intel CPU/GPU chip my freinds' ?
I would much rather see AMD and NVIDIA together again too.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

Haha :P, didn't XFX start with nvidia cards? .. Anyway to me its no biggie, the new Nvidia cards perform well, but I think most people were expecting much more.. ATI is still best in terms of price performance ratio..
Old April 5, 2010, 07:25 AM
Afro_Samurai

Default Nothing strange about it...

XFX wants to sell both red and green cards. They knew if they made that choice they wouldn't be getting the first (or second) round of the higher level cards. Nvidia made that clear in the beginning. They probably thought they could talk their way into getting this first round and threatened to no carry the 480 470 end of the series. Nvidia said ok don't. There is no rule on the lower end cards so they can still carry those when they are released. End of story. No contrivesy or conspiracy. Just those are the rules. I buy EVGA so no sweat off my nuts. I'm glad the person who insinuated that others were going to follow XFX decided not to say more... I'm really tired of people making fact out of fiction.

Oooh and my image words were Corona plunks... lol. I love image verfication.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
Anon

Post xfx gtx 480.....

i knw xfx has stop making nvidia gtx 480...bt nw i wana buy gtx480 n in shop i found a card of "xfx gtx480"...wht d hel...im confused did xfx make few of gtx 480 before announcing that dey stoped.....or its jst fake gtx480....
Old January 30, 2011, 04:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Interesting... but someone must be deceiving you :P
Old January 30, 2011, 04:27 AM
anon

i saw d card...its exactly luk same as d 1 seen on da pic found on internet...xfx gtx480....i also read it smwhr deal is btwn n european xfx....bt im from asia...cn any1 tel me dat nvidia made d deal wit oda branch of xfx too,dat they also cnt make gtx480....i dnt knw wht im talking.....bt i liked dat green on blk card :(......should i buy it.....?
Old January 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
ok123

whc 1 is better gtx480 or gtx570