Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Chipset Driver Brings TRIM Support to RAID Setups

*** Correction: It should be noted that Intel's announcement about TRIM support only applies to single SSD's that are present in a system with a RAID array, and not to a RAID array of SSD's. *** Users have long lamented over the fact that TRIM was not previously supported in SSD RAID Arrays, resulting in less efficiency and crippled performance.... [ Read full article ]
Old March 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes been running for a day now and it works great so far. I have to go back to gkills and put the old firmware back on my a-data because the 1571 supports wiper and now in raid trim and it's faster I am a little tired of the filp floping i had to do to my ssd.
Old March 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Really cool, no firmware changes too. Now raid can really become the shit with 3 40GB intel's giving 600mbs of read and 120 mbs of write with fully trimmed access times.
Old March 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Link

Intel RAID driver adds pass-through TRIM support

by Cyril Kowaliski — 4:01 PM on March 22, 2010
In our latest system guide, we pointed out that folks who opted to run dual Intel X25-M solid-state drives in RAID mode wouldn't be able to enjoy TRIM capabilities, potentially impacting used-state performance. Some sources now say the latest Intel RAID software update lifts that limitation, but it ain't so.

Here's what Intel told us before the update hit the web last Friday:
The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.
Translation: if your Intel storage controller is set to RAID mode, you'll now be able to benefit from your solid-state drive's TRIM functionality when running it alongside a RAID array comprised of mechanical drives. TRIM isn't supported for SSDs participating in a RAID array, however. Intel may add that feature in the future, but it hasn't committed to doing so.
Of course, running multiple SSDs in RAID mode might not appeal to the majority of users to begin with—if only because SSDs still tend to cost upward of $2 per gigabyte. Besides, capacities and pricing tend to increase in a fairly linear fashion. Instead of blowing almost $300 on, say, a pair of 64GB Kingston SSDNow V drives, one could as well opt for the 128GB model for $279.
Old March 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Works fine as a replacement for the MS ACHI driver too, if you are so inclined.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

I did stumble across the Ghlin, thanks for posting it up.
Definitely seems to be some very conflicting reports and Intel (as usual) is useless as _____ on a _______
when it comes to providing information.

It definitely seems reports mis-interpreted the Intel changelog about raid functionality, as from everything I have read and gathered - this isn't actually detected as a RAID array.

However! Part of the confusion came because these drivers do in fact increase speed - in fact from what I have seen, they provide quite a nice boost. I have seen reports of everything from a 40mbps improvement up to nearly 200mbps!

Going to update the article when I get some more concrete information.
Old March 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Balls! I just updated the firmware of my OCZ SSDs a few months ago in order to the latest garbage collection firmware and now I have to re-do this?!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 25, 2010, 06:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Balls! I just updated the firmware of my OCZ SSDs a few months ago in order to the latest garbage collection firmware and now I have to re-do this?!
You won't. TRIM IS NOT yet supported on raid arrays. Kind of a false statement. As I take some news from pcworld.fr, it's already out. it'll probably show up here somewhen today.

Edit: just seen gingerbee's post seems like it works ?!?

here's my source: Intel RST : pas de Trim avec des SSD en RAID

(yea, goddamn french -.-)

Last edited by Behemoth-; March 25, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old March 25, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

trim works in raid so here you go guys my c is my raid0

edit this just show that 7 is sending trim cmd it does not mean teh drivers support said cmd and in this case they do not at all there's not raid trim at all
Attached Images

Last edited by gingerbee; August 21, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old March 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Gonna try this on my Vertex raid 0 setup.