Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Zero...you have tried this I take it? XFire 5870 vs SLI 470's.....? I don't see things as black n white as you my friend..I look at the big picture....you say may as well go 2 5870's....well I woul say..if your going to now spend more...may as well go for the SLI 480's.....so wtf?!

To be honest I'll be sitting on my 280's for likely the Fall and wait n see how things unfold......
Two 480s will still cost you considerably more than a pair of 5870s. A 5870 is ~$30 more than a 470, while a 480 is about $130-150 more than a 5870. So you're looking at a $60 premium to go for a pair of 5870s as opposed to a $300 premium for a pair of 480s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
It is pretty easy to lose 20W of heat, it is a few Mhz in core clock or even just RAM clock. Also dual GPU cards don't scale linearly anyways, they don't have "double everything". That's why the PCB isn't twice as long/as full as a single GPU card...
Like I said, they would have to use crippled GPUs to make the card fit into a reasonable power envelope. Something would have to give.
Reply With Quote
  #522 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
burebista's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 599

My System Specs

Default

History repeats?

Blast from the past?
__________________
If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.
Reply With Quote
  #523 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Two 480s will still cost you considerably more than a pair of 5870s. A 5870 is ~$30 more than a 470, while a 480 is about $130-150 more than a 5870. So you're looking at a $60 premium to go for a pair of 5870s as opposed to a $300 premium for a pair of 480s.
As I said Zero.....in a respectful manner of course.....the big picture.....I had and loved my Tri Sli arrangement (280's)....if I go 2 x 470's now or a few months from now, it will be an option as well as very likely as prices come down that I will give 470 Tri Sli a go.......not sure if XFire offers a Tri solution for 5870's or if the Scaling / Drivers are as mature at this level as nVidia......I know from past experience tha nVidia made huge gains with Tri Sli technogy....my Benches proved that indeed.

Either way....I'll decide which way to go by Sept / Oct.....my Mobo and PSU are both built for Multi GPU Madness ;)

Tri Sli 480's I'll leave to the complete WB heads
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #524 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
not sure if XFire offers a Tri solution for 5870's or if the Scaling / Drivers are as mature at this level as nVidia......
ATI has 3-way and 4-way CrossfireX. Scaling depends on the game, but on average, Crossfire scales just as well as SLI does.
Reply With Quote
  #525 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Crossfire scales just as well as SLI does.
I have no idea as I haven't tried it.......would have to see some Benchmarks comparing Tri XFire to Tri Sli as I certainly wouldn't want to experiment with $1300 worth of GPU's.....that fact is I kno how well the Tri Sli and Drivers worked for me ;)

Now...just hammering again throuh the GTX 470 Review and looking at the Bench numbers again....more carefully and concentrating on the 1920 x 1200 Full Tess / AA / AF yada yada yada...thier are some Posts here whereby I question how carefully these numbers were looked at....

1. In all cases 480 ahead of both 470 / 5870 (obviously)

2. In at least more than half of the runs the 470 even finished ahead of the 5870......

The Evga GTX SC version is $399

Diamond / Radeon 5870 $459

...nah....I think I see the best value / performance here indeed.
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #526 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

actually the best priced one is the 5850. loses to the others, but bang per buck wise its top
Reply With Quote
  #527 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
ATI has 3-way and 4-way CrossfireX. Scaling depends on the game, but on average, Crossfire scales just as well as SLI does.
Not with the GTX480. Look at some of the reviews, Nvidia has put some extra work on scaling. SLI scales at ~60% while Crossfire is ~45-50%.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
Reply With Quote
  #528 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,082

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
actually the best priced one is the 5850. loses to the others, but bang per buck wise its top

Well I'm not totally convinced with that. If you look at Sky's charts on $/fps you will see that actually the 470 is on top.

Now with actual prices I see at, for example NCIX, I would say it is even more in favor of the 470.

See this
XFX 5850 = $344.99 up to $409.99 for the black edition. @NCIX

EVGA GTX 470 = $379.99 up to $399.99 for the SC version. @NCIX


So really only a small price difference between the two but there is a noticeable difference in the fps. Now I know that when you get to 2560x1600 there is not a huge difference but according to Nvidia drivers will make a difference there at some point (hopefully soon).

Myself I have been looking mostly at 1680x1050 since that is what I game at. I also want to have as high settings as possible and that is where the 470 beats the 5850. 21% percent increase in min framerates and 16% in average.

I would think that 16% increase in performance is good considering only a 9% increase in price.


Now I know that there are cheaper 5850's than the XFX, but they are the only ones that I know of that have a warranty that is even close to what eVGA has.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #529 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 03:41 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

^^^ Excellent.....that was exactly what I as looking at as well....summed up very nicely ;)
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #530 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well I'm not totally convinced with that. If you look at Sky's charts on $/fps you will see that actually the 470 is on top.

Now with actual prices I see at, for example NCIX, I would say it is even more in favor of the 470.

See this
XFX 5850 = $344.99 up to $409.99 for the black edition. @NCIX

EVGA GTX 470 = $379.99 up to $399.99 for the SC version. @NCIX


So really only a small price difference between the two but there is a noticeable difference in the fps. Now I know that when you get to 2560x1600 there is not a huge difference but according to Nvidia drivers will make a difference there at some point (hopefully soon).

Myself I have been looking mostly at 1680x1050 since that is what I game at. I also want to have as high settings as possible and that is where the 470 beats the 5850. 21% percent increase in min framerates and 16% in average.

I would think that 16% increase in performance is good considering only a 9% increase in price.


Now I know that there are cheaper 5850's than the XFX, but they are the only ones that I know of that have a warranty that is even close to what eVGA has.
you can find the 5850 under 300 bucks(280 and over) at a few places. now for ~80-100 more you do get better performance, yes









there may be a bug or two left i nthere but it gives you an idea.



best performance out the two? yes. bang per buck? no. when you spend 300 you can spend another 50 i think, lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Clarifies Official GTX 480 and GTX 470 Launch Date matsta31 Press Releases & Tech News 76 March 9, 2010 02:07 AM
NVIDIA's Next-Gen Parts Get Named: GTX 480 & GTX 470 SKYMTL Press Releases & Tech News 67 March 6, 2010 09:23 PM
[FS] aCid888*'s Official FS/WTB Thread. aCid888* Buy/Sell & Trade 79 February 14, 2010 01:41 PM
OFFICIAL: 5970 Hunters Thread BobbyLou Video Cards 23 November 26, 2009 04:46 PM
[FS] The Official mattlef LF FS FT Thread mattlef Buy/Sell & Trade 66 June 14, 2009 07:05 PM