Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 06:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Keep in mind core for core the ATI cards are not as robust as Nvidia's.. at least in my eyes.. I mean I could be wrong, I'm not as well versed as some people on the matter.
What do you mean by that?
Old March 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
Banned
F@H

probably referring to temperature thresholds?
Old March 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
probably referring to temperature thresholds?
Yes, exactly.

As I understand it, Nvidia uses less cores on their architecture than ATI but it generally achieves the same results. I'm not saying one is better than the other just based on that at all but I guess what I mean is that because of this I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the Nvidia cores require more power....

I dunno I could be way off, I'm not the most versed person with this stuff so it's tough for me to get what I'm thinking out into words hahaha

I'm also half retarded.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok,

It seems that the whole temperature/power consumption thing is not seen the right way right now.

NVIDIA is LATE. In order to compete, they had to launch something. That something wasn't ready.
They forced it out the door with "corrective measures", like beefed up heatsinks and powerful fans, also lowering the amount or cores, lowered the clocks, to TRY to alleviate the difficulties. On top of that, they didn't want their cards to be called "hairdryers" so they didn't use an agressive fan profile, so HIGH temps.

If you don't care about power usage (or you don't pay for electricity) it's fine. If you pay out of your own pockets, you might care! Everybody PRAISES quiet hardware...then the next day you get a card with a LOUD fan and it's OK? nVIDIA fans used to call the ATI cards (don't remember which model) the hair blower, but if it's a Geforce, it's ok?

I'm an nVidia fan, but I'm upset.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 27, 2010, 07:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes, exactly.

As I understand it, Nvidia uses less cores on their architecture than ATI but it generally achieves the same results. I'm not saying one is better than the other just based on that at all but I guess what I mean is that because of this I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the Nvidia cores require more power....

I dunno I could be way off, I'm not the most versed person with this stuff so it's tough for me to get what I'm thinking out into words hahaha

I'm also half retarded.
ATI and nVidia's approaches to cores are completely different. You can't make direct comparisons between them.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
ATI and nVidia's approaches to cores are completely different. You can't make direct comparisons between them.
I'm mostly trying to compare them as a way to justify why Nvidia's are hot.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
Banned
F@H

right on.

and i dont think youre tarded, man.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I think it's a complete farce that people care about the wattage of a card, plug the stupid thing in and let her run. You're all pretending you actually care. The heat isn't an issue either because the card isn't just going to burn out.
Quote:
Yes, exactly.

I'm also half retarded.
Its not a matter of nvidia cores require more power......

Its a fact that there competitor are offering a card that can produce almost the same performance with almost half of the power consumption.

Fastest sure, but how many people even run the fastest shit out there? And as you can see from forums most people don't run fastest card. There are more gtx 260,275 owners than gtx 280/285
Old March 27, 2010, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Ok, ....
nVIDIA fans used to call the ATI cards (don't remember which model) the hair blower, but
... but I'm upset.
I thought the hairdryer was nVidia's 5900/5950 Man they were loud.
Quote:
I think it's a complete farce that people care about the wattage of a card, plug the stupid thing in and let her run. You're all pretending you actually care. The heat isn't an issue either because the card isn't just going to burn out.
I agree to a considerable degree with encorp.
There was so much expectation for fermi to completely blow ATI's 5000 series away that I think many are overly disappointed right now.
I believe that feeling will change somewhat and fairly soon, when the new nVidia cards are in stores in serious numbers. The price battle will begin and people will realize that the fermi cards, while not destroying the 58050/5870, they are faster and better capable at handling advanced DX11 features without taking such a hit.
Although some will not buy the 480/470 as indeed they are ~15C hotter, draw ~60 watts more, and somewhat louder under full load, I suspect that the 480/470's extra rendering power will start to have a greater influence on peoples purchasing choice.
Just my opinion.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  

Last edited by MonsterSound; March 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm mostly trying to compare them as a way to justify why Nvidia's are hot.
I don't think that's caused specifically by the design of the cores. It has to do with the entire architecture, and especially with the number of transistors in the die.