Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will we get a bit of a revisit to this review when things mature a bit (driver's for the greens and maybe some card revisions for red)?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Which ever way you slice it, NVIDIA has the best single GPU graphics card on the market and with it is poised to regain the performance crown.

Unfortunately amidst heavy delays and users will be required to make sacrifices in order to gain the performance.

Very interesting situation indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
This all reflects exactly what I've said all along; in the end, when all is said and done, no one actually cares about the power consumption or price, as long as it's the most powerful. The fact remains that the people buying the most powerful card are not price or power conscious individuals. If they were, they would not be sitting on the side lines waiting patiently for the release of the "next big thing".

People are willing to make the sacrifices necessary for these cards, they have always been, and they always will be. It's why I'm always so baffled that the same discussions always occur around the release of a new card.

Nvidia knew exactly what they needed to do; get the best card out there, at the perfect price, with a reasonable power consumption and they'd take gold.

And they did it. Of course they did, they didn't have any other options.
It's not the most powerful. The 5970 is a single PCI-E slot solution. If you place both cards on a PCI-E slot, power them, and run games while treating them as a black box, the 5970 is simply better. As of now, from a gamer's proposition, the GTX480 loses in absolute performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar.
Old March 27, 2010, 01:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

When can we realistically expect a 28nm refresh, next Spring?
Old March 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegras View Post
It's not the most powerful. The 5970 is a single PCI-E slot solution. If you place both cards on a PCI-E slot, power them, and run games while treating them as a black box, the 5970 is simply better. As of now, from a gamer's proposition, the GTX480 loses in absolute performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar.
I agree, it is like the 295 vs the 5870, IIRc the 295 is faster than the 5870 but uses two gpus. People still said nvidia had the fastest single card. So it is the same situation with the 5970 vs the 480.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's a complete farce that people care about the wattage of a card, plug the stupid thing in and let her run. You're all pretending you actually care. The heat isn't an issue either because the card isn't just going to burn out.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
I think it's a complete farce that people care about the wattage of a card, plug the stupid thing in and let her run. You're all pretending you actually care. The heat isn't an issue either because the card isn't just going to burn out.
reminds me when gates said something about 640k memory needs :D
Old March 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for bringing it up......Here I thought I was the only person that didn't give a shit. If i had to wire my office with 220 I would.

Old March 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I think it's a farce that you're being such a narrow-minded prick and criticizing anyone who doesn't have the same criteria for choosing a graphics card as you do. Heat output and power consumption are certainly very important metrics for many people. Your personal opinion doesn't change that fact.
Old March 27, 2010, 04:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
What about people whom are going to school and are in residence or small rooms, that can really heat up a room and if you have no direct control of the room temperature (themostat) the warmer your card runs the hotter your room will get.
Old March 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
F@H

eeeasy....eeeasy....:)