Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2010, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Spire TherMax Eclipse II Launched

Spire has been slowly making in-roads for the PC accessories market. With their initial success it is not surprising to witness their next generation of cooling solutions. Let the Eclipse begin. Coated in a beautiful dark nickel finish and sporting twin BlackStar fans the Eclipse is sure to shine in any case with a windowed panel. Looks aside it ha... [ Read full article ]
Old March 9, 2010, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice looking for sure, hope to see some review soon

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Am I the only one that thinks Direct touch heatsinks are stupid ? Sure there's less material between the CPU and the heatpipes but 2 of the 5 heat pipes are not directly over the CPU. Are normal heatsinks better at dispersing the heat over 5 or 6 heat pipes ?
Old March 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It depends on the size of your CPU. If you are running an itty bitty 1156 then yes some are not going to come in contact. But if you are running a larger 1366 then most will be fully covered and the outer ones will be partially covered. Most HDT's weakness is not the lack of heatpipe contact, it is the fact that the fin arrays they have been paired with are too small to handle higher heat loads (like you see in heavily overclocked systems). At stock loads a Titan Fenrir (for example) destroys just about any of the solid base design's results.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
Banned
F@H

lets see some results at over 120w :)
Old March 9, 2010, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
At stock loads a Titan Fenrir (for example) destroys just about any of the solid base design's results.
maybe but is it a good heatsink because of the direct contact or because of the fins or both ? What I would like to see is a review of a heatsink with the same fins arrangement but with 2 bases: one direct contact and one with a solid base to see what the difference is.
Old March 9, 2010, 01:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_plow_king View Post
maybe but is it a good heatsink because of the direct contact or because of the fins or both ? What I would like to see is a review of a heatsink with the same fins arrangement but with 2 bases: one direct contact and one with a solid base to see what the difference is.
Alas that will never come to be.

CPU Cooling is as subjective to multiple Factors as OC'ing is. There are too many variables and no CPU cooling provider is going to engineer one of each for these purposes.

Trust me, I'd like it too but it won't happen.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

I like the name It would go good with my current project "Total Eclipse" if it wasnt being water cooled.