Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Releases Statement Regarding Fake Core i7 920 Processors.

In a story that has made headlines everywhere, Newegg, last week, admitted that a portion of their Intel Core i7 920 inventory was in fact crudely made fakes that were delivered to a few unfortunate buyers. [Read Original Report]The company released a press statement claiming that this was a result of "demo boxes" mistakenly shipped by one of their... [ Read full article ]
Old March 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Demo boxes? Haha, yeh right. Since when are demo boxes full of spelling mistakes.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'm waiting for the first-time builder who doesn't know any better to receive his, put the fake proc in the motherboard... glue the foam heatsink onto the fake cpu, then try to turn it on and wonder why nothing happens... LOL
Old March 8, 2010, 11:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It is also important to note that several websites have been issued takedown notices for this article from Newegg's distributor.
Old March 8, 2010, 12:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The two blatant typos on the box should have been enough to say it wasn't demo boxes. Serious, sochet isn't socket!
Old March 8, 2010, 01:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the story now has become not only the fake chips, but now the silly actions of a distributor.

All they had to say was "We are fixing this for customers right away, and will work with our suppliers to determine what happened." Any other questions could have been answered with "No Comment", "This is an internal investigation," "We are working to make sure our customers are not affected by this in the future" etc etc.

The silly excuses and legal actions just make the story bigger.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it really makes them look guilty, doesn't it?
Old March 8, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been telling you guys this all along. If i still had these boxes around I'd take photos. THESE ARE DEMO BOXES. I've seen them before with my own eyes. YES, they had spelling mistakes too! I got mine directly from Intel.

The CPU boxes came with "Educational Kits" that school departments used to teach students. They had dummy CPU's and blank manuals in them. These CPU's came with samples (defective, however) of wafers, and videos and other instructional media and collateral.

While I can't say where the lumps of clay came from, I can tell you for a fact that these boxes, spelling mistakes and all where manufactured for/by Intel themselves. Someone got a hold of them and used them for this scam.

Like 100%, like I've LOOKED, peered, seen with my own eyes boxes EXACTLY like these shipped TO ME, from Intel.

I don't care what Intel says.

EDIT: Did I mention the boxes I got where chalk full of spelling mistakes?

Words were spelled wrong? Some letters out of place? Did I mention that enough?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; March 8, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old March 8, 2010, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

With the "demo" BS coming out of Newegg, I am 75% in the belief that the fake processors were switched within Newegg's facilities. If Newegg handled this fiasco properly, I would have believed that the processor switch occurred in the distributor/transportation channel.

I still trust that Newegg will support the end customer relationship but as far as an overall perception, the trust is damaged.
Old March 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, the article also has alot of spelling errors too, lol.