Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2010, 03:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
They ARE legit demo boxes.
Misspellings and all? I don't think so.

Intel has said they are treating this as a case of counterfeiting so I think we can say with some certainty that there's something more going on here than just demo boxes.
Old March 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Misspellings and all? I don't think so.

Intel has said they are treating this as a case of counterfeiting so I think we can say with some certainty that there's something more going on here than just demo boxes.
I dunno, there were misspellings all over the boxes I received, I just assumed at the time that it was a way of making sure they weren't sold as real ones, maybe I was wrong lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 7, 2010, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

NewEgg has been shipping debug build's of Windows 7 as Retail OEM versions too, Had a few users on SevenForums complaining about BSODs that only occour on the Debug builds and reporting NewEgg as the point of sale (Heres a recent user who had the problem: APC Index Mismatching - Windows 7 Forums)

Debug builds are both larger in size and slower to run than the retail builds and incur more BSODs due to the amount of extra checks the OS does.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This happens to you by buying PC crap. Buy a Mac instead!
PC's and macs have the same internal parts retard........

Old March 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Kyle over at Hardocp had this comment from an Intel rep:
Quote:
Intel has been made aware of the potential for counterfeit i7 920 packages in the marketplace and is working to how many and/or where they are being sold. The examples we have seen are not Intel products but are counterfeits. Buyers should contact their place of purchase for a replacement and/or should contact their local law enforcement agency if the place of purchase refuses to help.
Source: [H]ard|OCP - Intel Comment on Fake CPU Debacle Raises More Questions

Looks like the story about demos getting shipped has been debunked.

To make matters even more ridiculous, D&H is threatening to sue Hardocp for running the story, and another site that ran the story:
Company threatens journalists over fake Intel CPU reports | Business news | TechEye - All the technology news unfit for print

What a bunch of idiots.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 7, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Very interesting. Kyle did only mention "sources" for his information, and isn't required to provide names, however he did present the information as fact about D&H being involved whether victim or villian.

Never ever accuse anyone of a crime or being complicit in a crime outright - definitely should have covered his ass, hence why you always see "allegedly" when a reporter talks about a story.
If he does in fact have a legitimate source - where ever from - or D&H is Newegg's CPU supplier then he shouldn't have a problem disproving libel.
Old March 8, 2010, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

The truth is, Newegg couldn't figure out which one of their "long term" supplier sold them the fakes. They are holding payments to all of it's CPU suppliers. What a xxxx up!!!!
Old March 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The truth is, Newegg couldn't figure out which one of their "long term" supplier sold them the fakes. They are holding payments to all of it's CPU suppliers. What a xxxx up!!!!

they have serial # on every invoice
Old March 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
To make matters even more ridiculous, D&H is threatening to sue Hardocp for running the story, and another site that ran the story:
Company threatens journalists over fake Intel CPU reports | Business news | TechEye - All the technology news unfit for print

What a bunch of idiots.

I'd tell them to eat my ass.

You can't sue someone for reporting what has happened, otherwise Ford and Bridgestone would have put everyone out of business a while back.... Or Exxon... Or.. or...
Old March 10, 2010, 07:14 AM
Unregistered

Default Official Statement from Newegg

"Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg’s top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident."