Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2010, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Default Happened to me too, got one in SLC, UT.

That's all, same exact counterfeit.
Old March 6, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen these EXACT demo boxes in person before from Intel, from i7's to Core2Duo's and even as far back as PII era chips.

I used to have a whole bunch of them laying around, they were donated to a school to be used to show students and stuff. But there was really no difference between them and the ones shown here.

No one "produced" these fakes in order to rip off the chips. These are made by Intel directly, someone however may have replaced the chips with these demo chips, so I suspect an Intel employee.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 6, 2010, 05:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ePIC FAIL
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old March 6, 2010, 06:37 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I., so I suspect an Intel employee.
how you want an Intel employee go out with 300 cpu box ???
Old March 6, 2010, 08:53 AM
Allstar

I wonder how'd this slip through?
Old March 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
No way these are "demo boxes". The spelling alone puts the lie to that tale.

Why do companies feel they have to "massage" every bit of bad news? This is obviously a fairly sophisticated scam that originated through the distribution chain. Why not just admit the facts of the case and carry on from there?
1136 sochet, apparently they couldn't even spell socket properly even
Old March 6, 2010, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

wow, honestly in the past I've wondered if people sold counterfeit processors, I guess its true :P
Old March 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

A few more threads popping up over the net. This guy got FIVE of them:
[So] Newegg shipped me 5 fake CPUs by krustyy - TribalWar Forums

On second thought I don't think the demo story is Newegg's. The story was probably dreamed up by the supplier, and passed along by Newegg. I think it was that thread where I read that Raptor hard drives were being replaced by 20GB Samsungs or something, also from the same distributor.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 6, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know how they got them, but I can tell you that I got about 300 demo boxes of CPU's by simply phoning Intel and giving them a schools name and address and saying that I wanted them for educational purposes. They didnt even charge my to ship them. This was a few years back but those boxes are pretty much identical to the ones I've seen from Intel before, spelling errors and all.

Someone at the supplier got them from Intel and did a swap, This dosn't have anything to do with Newegg other than they've been bamboozled. Also keep in mind I've never ordered from newegg so I'm not exactly a fan of theirs or anything, I just know for a fact, 100% that those boxes and everything in them was manufactured by Intel. They ARE legit demo boxes.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 6, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

If Intel does in fact release demo's that look like this, then the company seriously needs to rethink things.

I have seen a lot of demo products in my day and never have they been constructed out of putty, or slapped together with glue and aluminum and definitely have no used non original packaging unless it is a non life sized model. I've seen them at trade shows, through work and even had some demos boxes for a LAN party group I hosted. They do sometimes included printed paper inside with an image of what "should" be there, if the packaging has a security window.

If it is the product itself, it is often just the shell of product if it has internals. It would cost MORE to assemble a custom box than it would be to provide a regular retail box, not to mention the manpower required to build the "fakes".

Hopefully Intel can shed some light on the topic on Monday.