Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Revealed (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/29525-gigabyte-ga-890fxa-ud5-revealed.html)

Soultribunal March 5, 2010 09:45 AM

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Revealed

With the 890 Chipset fast approaching retail shelves we are seeing more and more the offerings from all of AMD's board partners. With the 890GX board already seen webwide from Gigabyte, we get to take a look at their higher end offering in the form of the GA-890FXA-UD5. Based solely upon AMD's 890FX chipset and SB850 southbridge this board adds a... [ Read full article ]

Hacksaw907 March 8, 2010 10:22 AM

Not bad... Although I never was a fan of Gigabyte's colour scheme. MSI's 890fx motherboard looks much nicer, imo :biggrin:

Oversized Rooster March 8, 2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 (Post 343966)
Not bad... Although I never was a fan of Gigabyte's colour scheme. MSI's 890fx motherboard looks much nicer, imo :biggrin:

MSI may look nicer, but it's a worse brand for sure.

This new Gigabyte mobo is very hot! Why is it that if you want to have 2 or more video cards, you need to shell out $300-400 for an X58 mobo on the Intel side while with an AMD-based system $200 does it? :sad:

Hacksaw907 March 9, 2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster (Post 343992)

Based on experience, or other people's opinions?

I'm using the 790FX-GD70 at the moment, and the features in it are awesome, especially for OC'ing.

CMetaphor March 9, 2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

This new Gigabyte mobo is very hot! Why is it that if you want to have 2 or more video cards, you need to shell out $300-400 for an X58 mobo on the Intel side while with an AMD-based system $200 does it? :sad:

Because Intel is more expensive than AMD in every way? And has been for years? Top-end AMD = $500 for Cpu/Mobo/Ram, top-end Intel = $800+ for the same combo, lol.

Quote:

I have a tendency to agree with you on that one, MSI' support has always been awful for me. I suppose if their version is solid and requires no tech support, then they're doing better.

crazyhorsejohnny March 9, 2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 (Post 344397)

I'm using the 790FX-GD70 at the moment, and the features in it are awesome, especially for OC'ing.

Same here. I find that often someone will bash a company without even have tried it.

MrDiaz March 9, 2010 07:15 AM

Last time I used an AMD chip was around 7 years ago...? Maybe more, I believe it was an Athlon 1700, heck who remembers. Anyway, they still have heating issues?

Soultribunal March 9, 2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny (Post 344400)
Same here. I find that often someone will bash a company without even have tried it.

Sometimes they do. My Experience is all Personal with two Neo Boards and a VC. MSI will not get my buisness for a long time to come. Eventually I'll try them again, but with past experience they are last on my list.

ST

Oversized Rooster March 9, 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 (Post 344397)

I'm happy for you but I dislike MSI based on my own experience; not to mention the experience of others...

I have tried using MSI boards on 3 occasions. One was back in the Pentium 4 days with a 965 chipset which brought me great headaches because of memory incompatibilities. I have tried a low-end MSI AM2 board based on the nForce 430 chipset (K8NGM2-IL) which died within a month in a customer's machine. And finally, most recently I serviced a customer's machine last year with a G31-based MSI mobo with DDR2 and DDR3 slots where mysteriously the board always declared that no RAM was present no matter what I plugged into those slots. So yeah, I haven't had a rosy time with MSI. Maybe they've changed in recent times but I've got a sour taste in my mouth still.

I don't mind trying low-end stuff. I've bought a plethora of Biostar, Foxconn and $60-90 Asus boards. But with MSI I've simply had dead boards and malfunctions!