Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gigabyte is First in With Their 890GX Motherboard

With the upcoming Phenom II X6 Processors it was only a matter of time before all the speculation ended and new boards started appearing on store shelves. Gigabyte looks to be the first with their entry level GA-890GPA-UD3H. Based on AMD's 890GX and SB850, these new boards will feature full support for the next generation of Phenom's when they st... [ Read full article ]
Old February 25, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It is interesting to Note that IDE is still supported even on the newest boards in the stable.
My understanding is that Gigabyte does this because some ultra-highend overclockers say IDE handles overclocks better then SATA, even when you lock the bus on SATA. *shrug*

3oh6 could probably enlighten us if this is true or not.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
My understanding is that Gigabyte does this because some ultra-highend overclockers say IDE handles overclocks better then SATA, even when you lock the bus on SATA. *shrug*

Hmmm first I ever heard of that. I really think at the point where you can afford this board and the CPU's it supports you should by now have SATA devices. IDE support is just one more thing on a board that no longer needs it.

My thoughts at least,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

When I was over at his house he was using SATA. I do not recall seeing ribbon cables .
Old February 26, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are probably doing it for cheap people who still have old IDE drive ( and claim their pc is slow haha ) that want to upgrade over a years. I buy the board now, in 6 month some better memory and then a CPU and when everything is in the house up and running...I have to change them again because now they suck But there is also a secure way to do. I still have on my second rig a 500GB IDE drive that is a total backup of the computer. He can still be pretty usefull and I use it to troubleshoot friend pc that are older so IMO IDE can still stay on mid range and low end board for 1 more year but NO MORE! and all High End board should leave them ho yeah!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Banned
F@H

Guy I have a bad news for Gigabyte lovers ...AMD ban the unlooking of the CPU on the 890 chipset board... no more option in the BIOS to do so

only ASUS, include a switch on the board to do so

here the link of the source

AMD officialy banned Core unlocking on 890 chipsets! - XtremeSystems Forums
Old February 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The OP of that 'xtremesystems' thread is a bit of a moron, lol. It's not really surprising that AMD would disallow unlocking on the SB850. After all, wasn't ACC mainly there for overclocking the first generation, AM2+ Phenoms, and the fact that it could unlock cores in the AM3 models merely a fringe benefit?

Yes, it's nice to see people get something for nothing, but unlocking cores cuts into AMD's margins. Seeing as the company is on a shoestring budget compared to Intel, I can't blame them for wanting to close off that avenue, and saying that if you want a quad-core, you have to pay the premium for it.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
Yes, it's nice to see people get something for nothing, but unlocking cores cuts into AMD's margins. Seeing as the company is on a shoestring budget compared to Intel, I can't blame them for wanting to close off that avenue, and saying that if you want a quad-core, you have to pay the premium for it.

I agree with you ..if you want a quad you buy a quad...