Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Windows Mobile 7 Unveiling Tomorrow!

I'm not sure if anyone else is as interested to see this as I am, but it'll be nice to see where Microsoft heads in it's new mobile direction. Certainly with the huge increases in hardware performance in smart phones, it's about time a modernized version of MinMo hit the market. Especially since I'm sick of all the iPhones everyone seems to be toting these days. Certainly they're a step and a bit over WinMo 6/6.5, but I've never liked the lock down on control that Apple's placed on their products. And while Google's smart phone OS options have been great, the limited access to apps and features in Canada has left it a 'bitter sweet' change.

Windows Mobile 7 looks to be pushing a theme similar to the ZuneHD. This is actually a great step for Microsoft. A visually appealing interface with streamlined touch functions makes the Zune's platform a great starting point for the UI. If Microsoft can pack the right combo of functionality, customization and ease of use in to that visual package; they could have a serious contender on their hands.

I know that the news that WinMo 7 is being released isn't 'new news'. Just excited that it's now only a day away from unveiling. And for a guy in the market for a new smart phone (my BB curve is killing me) I'm chomping at the bit to see this as it'll basically be the deciding factor on purchasing a WinMo phone (Probably the Omnia II) or the Nexus One.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

I will definitely be interested as I have a Touch Pro and like it more as it is a far better productivity tool than any apple phone or pad will be.
Old February 14, 2010, 01:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I went Android, but I'm still very interested in seeing how this turns out since I've been using Windows Mobile on PocketPCs for years.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm definately interested! I have a touch pro 2 (still on 6.1) and I'm hoping win 7 shows some good competiton.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm on a Touch Pro 2 as well, so yeah, I'd like to see what's going to be offered
Old February 15, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Touch Pro (technically Fuze - GSM version) as well. I updated to 6.5 with a custom rom for better speeds as the stock ATT HTC OS was severely bloated.

Be very interesting to test our 7 on this... got me all giddy. Hopefully it isn't as much of a resource hog as 6 :(
Old February 15, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well, what a double edged sword...

I love the interface, and I think WinMo 7 is going to be a fantastic product as it stands. But no backwards compatibility on hardware at all? So I can't go buy a current WinMo phone and upgrade it? Not to mention the rigid lock down on hardware specs to run it (All WinMo phone's, regardless of manufacturer, are going to be near carbon copies of each other) with no UI customization not authorized by Microsoft... Looks like Microsoft might be taking a page from Apple's iPhone on this one... and it's extremely dissapointing.

As much as I'd like to play around with WinMo 7's awesome look and UI, I think this may have just made my decision to go with a Nexus One...
Old February 15, 2010, 03:01 PM
MVP

Hands-on and first impressions: Windows Phone 7 Series hands-on and impressions (updated with video) -- Engadget
Old February 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

YouTube - Windows Mobile 7
Old February 15, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It looks alright but android and iPhone OSes are still better IMO.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."