Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD Implementing "Dynamic Speed Boost" on Upcoming Thuban CPUs

Possibly jealous of all the attention (and marketing appeal) Intel has received over its "Turbo Boost" technology, AMD is said to be including "Dynamic Speed Boost" with its upcoming Thuban hexa-core processors.

In many facets of computing, speed still reigns supreme, with many programs still unable to take full advantage of all processing cores... [ Read full article ]
Old February 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

What's that about Intel copying features from AMD again?
Old February 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
What's that about Intel copying features from AMD again?
That's for the on-chip memory controller:P Nice to see that now everyone will have the old Turbo button we add on P3.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 8, 2010, 01:20 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Actually... AMD said they were going to have a way to improve performance on single-threaded applications for a long while (Since before i7), they just never said how. Now we know: Disable idle cores to OC used cores - makes sense to me. They're not the first to implement the idea, but I think they thought it up.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Actually... AMD said they were going to have a way to improve performance on single-threaded applications for a long while (Since before i7), they just never said how. Now we know: Disable idle cores to OC used cores - makes sense to me. They're not the first to implement the idea, but I think they thought it up.
By the same token, I'm sure Intel had been thinking of an on-die memory controller since before AMD announced it as well. My point is basically that just because one of them introduces a feature before the other doesn't mean they thought of it first, nor does it mean that one copied the other if they introduced the feature later. I'm just poking fun at the whole "Intel copied AMD" or "AMD copied Intel" argument.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:25 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

At least with both companies duking it out for new ideas innovation can be had. Imagine if there wasn't any competition for features like this? Zzzzzzzzz
Old February 8, 2010, 01:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I've been waiting for years to see some real innovation coming out of AMD. Hopefully Bulldozer will fit the bill. But the last truly impressive piece of hardware they brought out was the Athlon 64.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So is AM3 or 1366 a more 'futureproof' platform? Is it planned for the 1156/1366 to support hexa-cores?

Might upgrade in the next 6 months and was debating which way to go. I tend to like Intel's performance of the i5/i7 more, but the phenom 955/965 has good performance and I probably won't notice the difference.

I'd probably kick myself for upgrading soon then hexa-cores come out soon thereafter.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell i am Intel fan-boy and i think i will buy an amd setup just to make sure that there a choice.
back to topic i think this is a good idea for amd.jmo
Old February 8, 2010, 01:54 PM
Rookie

The i9 series will feature six processors with Hyper threading supported by each,which makes them run like a 12 core processor(according to my poor understanding at least).It prolly won't be performing identically to a 12 core but even with some non-negligent inadequaces over the last it should be seriously faster than a hexa core CPU.Now if games manage to support 12-threded CPUs is another story,which could involve the understanging of the difficulties of increasing the cores and the problems that arise from it.Cause if programmers where sure that CPU manufacturers would manage to build hexa or 12 core CPU's there wouldn't be that many programs today without full support of four cores.Of course these are some simple thoughts and I think deeper knowledge of the subject is required.Nonetheless though,even if intel manages to keep the precedence they already have even hexa core CPU's shouldn't bottleneck many of the near future's VGA's(if gaming is your concern),so futureproofeness depends on your needs.A hardcore gamer should be better off with 1366's upgradability while all the others would be well off with AM3 and maybe a good cooler.