Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Silverstone Announces HDDBoost - The SSD Experience with the HDD Space

Silverstone has struck innovation gold (provided it works as well as it sounds) with its latest announcement about HDDBoost, a technology that combines both SDD's and mechanical hard drives into one large, fast storage device. Simply put, HDDBoost connects a traditional 3.5 HDD of any size, with the a super fast 2.5inch SSD of your choice, and cla... [ Read full article ]
Old February 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok that's what we can call a awesome idea from silverstone! It allow us to have good speed with big storage at low price. This part will probably be around 100$ but you know:P once you have it.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 4, 2010, 12:16 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Am I understanding it correctly?
You plug in, for example, a 30GB Vertex and a 1TB HDD. And this will be like upping your HDD's 16MB or 32MB cache to up 30GB right? It will not actually show up as having 1030GB of space, it is just acting as a "cache". Am I right?
It sounds awesome and I hope it works.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its my understanding that what it does is take X amount of the HDD and copy it to the SSD. Drop a 30GB into it and the first 30GB of your hard drive will be copied to the SSD. Since this is where your OS and apps go....you will get the power and speed of an SSD w/ out the hassle of no storage space. I can see a couple snags with this idea (no TRIM support,does defragging the hard drive put needless wear and tear on the cells of the SSD, what kind of latency does this introduce to the equation, etc) but in theory it could be a good compromise for anyone "needing" lots of space on their "C" drive w/out spending a fortune on big SSD's. For everyone else....get a SSD for your OS and main apps and drop a large hard drive in as storage space (aka a "D" drive).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

One step closer to my Solid State/Mechanical hybrid thoughts. I am still betting within 5 years (whether it will succeed or not) there will be a drive that integrates both, allowing a driver or OS option to install apps to the SSD portion and store media etc on the Mechanical. I can only see this working well if the user has final say of what data goes where, as if for ex. a certain part of a game ends up installed on the mechanical drive because it fits under a media/archival criteria, the speed of the SSD would still be bottlenecked by the HDD.
Old February 4, 2010, 05:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think that in 5 years, mechanical hard drives will be rare in any form. SSDs will be cheaper, plain and simple, and that will drive mechanical out of business... hybrid does not seem like a good idea at all. The ONLY reason someone would do this is for more space; in time, more space will be cheap.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Didn't Seagate try this kind of thing before?

A few years back they had the Momentus PSD laptop hard drives which was a standard 5400rpm drive with a large 256MB flash cache.

Seagate Momentus hybrid notebook drive - SlipperyBrick.com

For some reason those never took off...
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old February 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
Rookie

They should do 3.5in SSD.

Hybrid might work but... What will happen when you try to read something stored on the regular HDD, it won't be faster me thinks ?
Old February 4, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaclocker View Post
They should do 3.5in SSD.

Hybrid might work but... What will happen when you try to read something stored on the regular HDD, it won't be faster me thinks ?
There are some 3.5in ones. They are expensive.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 5, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

megacached hard drive?

.. mikellini is right though, SSD capacity will increase and prices will drop eventually, eliminating mechanical altogether. this is an interesting stopgap solution, but it probably wont work as well as theorized.