Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Right now if anyone could put down a good guess on how much the 480 will cost Just so I could have an idea I would take that.
$699 retail ;)
Old February 13, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
and then a month later a 495 comes out for only a bit more and I don't have any more money because of the 480 :o.. Paranoid lol :3
buy an Evga Card then you can Step-up ...

Just looking at those FC2 Bench results puts the performance of the Fermo Card somewhere between a SLI 280 Set-up and a Tri Sli 280 set-up

GTX 480's in SLI will be Swweeetttt!
Old February 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Will these cards be released...ever??? I can't believe how long there has been rumors and bits and pieces of information about these cards dangled in front of everyone's faces. Is there still no release date for any new nvidia cards? I know there is alot of anticipation on them, but I would certainly hope it is going to be better than the 5000 series from AMD/ATI, since they are going to have waited an extra year to release by the time we see them available. We need some friendly competition to bring prices where they should be for new cards.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Patients young Grasshopper......they'll release when they release...as was pointed out, its a very good sign that thier are no GTX 200 Series Cards (except 260's) available anywhere...store shelves are empty and waiting ;)
Old February 13, 2010, 02:11 PM
HaDeS

They won't release anything unless it beats the ATI cards because they have a reputation to uphold however if they don't do it soon the market share will be lost because at 200 dollars a 5770 is a great deal and the 5870 being 400ish is also a great deal. If i owned either of these cards would I dump them just for the newest NVIDIA? Probably not... as wouldn't most people out there. Frankly I think it's great that ATI butt slammed nvidia for once because it's been years since ATI was even competitive. For the ATI fans it's even better news because maybe now there will be enough profits to provide better quality drivers / support.

I remember another company who was over-run by nvidia and wound up closing their doors because they couldn't produce anything remotely close to decent... nvidia isn't immune to failure.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The butt-kicking ATI is giving nVidia right now at the mid-range to high range really excites me. This will pressure nVidia to price new cards lower to compete in the gaming sector. Its folding performance that matters to me, but the gaming benches will hopefully bring Fermi prices down.

Agreed also that the lack of high end 200 series is good news for a hard launch.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 13, 2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My question is :
Nvidia will release 2 High end product
What they have for the mainstream gamer, I means something betwen $ 200 and the $ 600 the cheapest Fermi will probably cost, they have no gtx 275 anywhere to be see
Old February 13, 2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Excatly....300 Series are Mobile Cards....so relax guys ;)
There were mobile and desktop 200 series cards, and the same thing with just about every single other generation of nVidia cards. I see no reason why having a mobile 300 series would prevent them from having a desktop 300 series as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Frankly I think it's great that ATI butt slammed nvidia for once because it's been years since ATI was even competitive.
I have to disagree with you there. ATI has been pretty competitive with nVidia performance-wise every generation since R300, with the exception of R600.
Old February 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
The butt-kicking ATI is giving nVidia right now at the mid-range to high range really excites me. This will pressure nVidia to price new cards lower to compete in the gaming sector. Its folding performance that matters to me, but the gaming benches will hopefully bring Fermi prices down.
Actually Nvidia gained market share in the forth quarter even without DX11 parts, ATI got DX11 parts but didn't kick any butt so I wouldn't expect lower priced parts from Nvidia.

Old February 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Upon Fermi Release:
1. All previous 280 / 285 owners will be thrilled to finally ditch thier 2 yr old cards and "really upgrade"
2. 295 owners will go the way of the GX2 owners, pissed that they just spent $600 bucks not too long ago and thier will be no more "optimized Driver Support" and thier Cards are no longer the fastest Green Cards
3. 5770 owners will continue "sawing the old horse" and comparing thier Cards to previous Gen Green Cards, as in GTX 260 / 280 yada yada yada yada
4. 5870 owners will desperately try to find any Benching flaw at all in the new Fermi Cards to justify thier Red Cards, but will be once again humbled by the big Green eye
5. Finally ATI Owners will start looking forward to what ATI's answer will be to the Fermi

....and it all goes around once again ;) The bright note will be getting both Companies competing from a price point of view, unfortunately, beeing an nVidia Fan Boy, I'll be paying a premium

Now with all that said, if Fermi are "rediculously" priced, as in $750 - $800, I would be awfully tempted to jump ship and go with two of these
XFX Radeon HD 5870 XXX 875MHZ 1GB GDDR5 5.2GHZ 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada
Just have to start reading up on Catalyst Drivers and CrossFire ;)

Quote:
There were mobile and desktop 200 series cards, and the same thing with just about every single other generation of nVidia cards. I see no reason why having a mobile 300 series would prevent them from having a desktop 300 series as well.
correct Zero, however, according to what I have read on the nVidia "SLI Zone" Forum, the whole 300 Series is going to be skipped all together with Desktop Fermi, so that it can be "exclusive" GTX 4xx Cards - obviously hardly gospel, but does make sense from a Marketing Point Of View.

Last edited by rjbarker; February 13, 2010 at 03:33 PM.