Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2010, 03:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Is PC Gaming dead? Steam says it's exploding.

Steam Exploded In 2009 - Steam - Kotaku

Quote:
With active users surpassing the 25 million mark and a 205% jump in year over year unit sales, 2009 was an extremely good year for Valve's Steam service. Valve announced Steam's spectacular 2009 today, providing plenty of statistics to back it up. Active accounts are up 25% to more than 25 million, with 10 million of those maintaining Steam Community profiles. The service now hosts more than 1,000 games from more than 100 developers, which was a key factor in the 205% rise in unit sales, which makes for the fifth year in a row that the figure has jumped by more than 100%.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years — such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks — we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform. As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
In fact, the service surpassed a peak number 2.5 million concurrent users in December, no doubt aided by the releases of Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. The increased number of users also helped push Steam's monthly average player minutes past 13 billion.
With more and more PC players turning to digital distribution for their gaming fix every year, I'd expect Steam to continue gathering steam in 2010.
All I gotta say is WOOHOOO!

suck on it, console gamers!
Old January 29, 2010, 04:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly, of all my gamer buddies, 1/40 of them are PC gamers, although this is anecdotal evidence - i still believe PC gaming is dying.
Old January 29, 2010, 04:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, you kind of have it in the face that it's not :p
Old January 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's more shifting to Digital. I wouldn't say it's dying yet though. There are still plenty of PC gamers I know in real life, then again we are still a minority amongst gamers.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would say pc gaming is alive, I convinced 4 of my friends to play pcgames by saying that most of the best games on pc are true(i kinda lied but it works :D)
Old January 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'd say pc gaming isn't dead but it isn't as alive as it once was.

I mean how many games per year come out that you really can't wait to play?

And then you play and and your dissapointed?

FEAR 2? Far Cry 2? etc etc
Old January 29, 2010, 07:54 PM
Top Prospect

this is maybe due to the fact that you need a steam account to play very popular games like MW2
Old January 29, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I began using steam shortly after it's inception. Now that you can also use paypal as payment, the service became even more appealing. I used to hang around the used game section of retailers trying to find a particular game. Popular used games were often hard to find. Now I can log in to my steam account find the game i want and download it. No more hassle with lost or scratched discs or limited key activations. I don't see what the big deal is with some people who hate steam. I'm assuming they're the ones who are crying the blues because games are becoming harder and harder to pirate. With digital delivery, game developers are actually getting paid for all their hard work instead of losing revenue to pirates.

Way to go Steam!

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 29, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fact pc is the largest gaming industry. Fact the most played game is on PC (Farm Ville)

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing about PC gaming is that you the big chunk of dough to get your computer setup, but after you get past that point, PC gaming is wayyyy superior to console.

1: controls are better
2: less lag (if you have a decent PC and good internet)
3: you can "***try***" games out
4. you sit closer to the monitor
5: PC is a multimedia machine

-Plato