Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2010, 04:48 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
lol, this thing is an over sized iTouch?

what a piece of shit.
Thanks for the great feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Well, better than nothing. Although it doesn't look like it would work on your lap, only on a table.
Take a look at the folder thing in the same link. It folds it up to give it the iPad a more usable angle.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old January 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm kinda glad Apple is coming out with something this bad. I'm not a windows fanboy or anything, but more-so hate the ideology of Apple. For example, the way I like to think of the three OS's are like this:

Linux > Far left of the political spectrum
Windows > Center or slightly right
Mac/Apple > Far right, conservative / straight up dictatorship

That's why I'm happy as hell Apple has got what I knew since they said they were making a tablet that this thing would fail. I mean, a tablet? Did their marketing team even do their research? I'm pretty sure all tablets have pretty much failed with consumers. They are too big and clunky to fit in your pocket, and not powerful enough to actually get some work done.

And the only model worth getting is the 3G version, plus all those memory capacities are pretty small for something you'd use as a "computing device"... so I'd say the only one I'd consider using is the 64GB 3G version which is $829.... No thanks.

If they put a camera on, made it a bit powerful and some multitasking capabilities (think palm pre), GPS and more connectivity it might have sold better.

But I digress, there is no use for tablets, and I don't really know anyone who owns or is thinking of owning a tablet. I geuss it was balsy of apple to move into this market, but also a bit stupid. IMO, the ipad will be EPIC FAIL.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't need a consumption device so I can just curse when I should have brought my sub notebook instead. And on that note... considering the sub notebook market is going to explode this year... this thing will go nowhere, imho.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 27, 2010, 05:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow big iPhone

I find it funny that people are saying, "it's just a big iPhone" because all the Mac fanatics I know have been saying for years, "all I really want is an iPhone writ large".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Bad idea. More often than not people are going to be looking at this device on an angle, so you absolutely need a high-quality screen with top-notch viewing angles.
Why would people be looking at this on an angle? I don't look at books or news papers on an angle; not one that would produce significant problems on a crappy display. I don't see people looking at their PSPs, iPhones, or portable DVD players on an angle.

As far as a "consumption device" I think that is bang on. Hopefully Apple will continue with offering DRM free media and not revert back to the industry standard of a crippled pay-for-every-drop model.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I find it funny that people are saying, "it's just a big iPhone" because all the Mac fanatics I know have been saying for years, "all I really want is an iPhone writ large".

Why would people be looking at this on an angle? I don't look at books or news papers on an angle; not one that would produce significant problems on a crappy display. I don't see people looking at their PSPs, iPhones, or portable DVD players on an angle.

As far as a "consumption device" I think that is bang on. Hopefully Apple will continue with offering DRM free media and not revert back to the industry standard of a crippled pay-for-every-drop model.

I think the viewing angle is important with portable devices because if a second person is trying to view the ipad from a different angle they will not be able to see the screen properly. This is a inconvenience when your trying to share a video with a friend or 3 or four people.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I disagree entirely, each one of those are often viewed on an angle in the vertical plane...unless of course you hold everything straight up to your face.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
Allstar

Er, but you're also looking down at an angle to it. When I hold something in my hand, even if its 'tilted' in relation to the world, my face is probably parallel with the screen.
Old January 27, 2010, 05:57 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
Er, but you're also looking down at an angle to it. When I hold something in my hand, even if its 'tilted' in relation to the world, my face is probably parallel with the screen.
So if the screen was sitting in your lap, you would have your neck kinked in order to view it from straight on? Doesn't seem all that confortable to me.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old January 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
what if you sit it on a table to watch a movie? I guarantee you it won't be at a correct angle.

If you want to type a long document you'll either put it on a table or on your lap, and you will probably have it at a weird angle then (especially if it's on a table), not to mention if anyone else wants to look at it from a different position.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:05 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
So if the screen was sitting in your lap, you would have your neck kinked in order to view it from straight on? Doesn't seem all that confortable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
what if you sit it on a table to watch a movie? I guarantee you it won't be at a correct angle.

If you want to type a long document you'll either put it on a table or on your lap, and you will probably have it at a weird angle then (especially if it's on a table), not to mention if anyone else wants to look at it from a different position.

Which is why they have that dock to give it a correct angle. Its why notebook screens are adjustable. This isn't meant as a standalone set down (lay flat) device and you guys are fooling yourself if you think it is. Do you crack open a book and set it down and try to read it at extreme angles? Do you pull up web pages on your iPhone (or other smart phone variant) and then lay it down on the table and try to read it? No, you hold it in your hand and read it because neither of those products were made as set down devices either. I remember reading out of textbooks set down on desks in school when I didn't want to hold them. Guess what, my head was cocked at an odd angle. Same deal here or it'd have come with a built in stand. The very fact that they have a separate dock shows you that this isn't a set down and use device, but can be converted to be used as one. Bad angle argument =/ work.